We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal in 17-30 September - weather

London, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

Hi All,

We are thinking of spending 2 weeks in Nepal from 17 to 30 September. We are more keen on culture than treks but it would be much better if the weather wasn’t rainy to have better views etc.

I have read very different opinions with respect ti Monsoon in late September, what would you advise?

Would Bhutan or Indian Himalaya (either Sikkim or Ladakh) be a better option weather-wise? I am not so keen on them because I felt the buddhist culture in nepal would be much more interesting and I am not too happy with bhutan’s minimum spending policy.

Thanks all

Lake District...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Kathmandu
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
39 reviews
28 helpful votes
1. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

Hi Andrea

These past few years the Monsoon has dragged in into September, so do go prepared for some rain – But you are there for the last 2 weeks in the month, so it should be an improvising situation – No one will be able to say for sure how much rain you will get, but as you head towards the end of the month, the balance will tip to your favour and my own best guess is that you will get more fine weather than rain.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Travel Pages including Nepal blog https://web.archive.org/web/20150906143420/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
22 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

Hello andreacav,

There will be almost no rain during late September as rainy season already ends august. From September, flow of tourists starts to increase here as sky starts to be clear and weather becomes pleasant.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
3. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

Hi

The monsoon is often said to end in the middle of September and some people are certain enough to give a particular date then assert there will be no rain from then on.

My understanding from visiting at that time is the rains and cloud cover do continue throughout the month but not as heavy as earlier in the monsoon (July and August are the wettest months) and the weather should improve as the month passes, though a late flurry cannot be ruled out.

Data for the past few years is available on the likes of accuweather and wunderground for major places such as KTM, Pokhara, Chitwan and a few others. They also have short term forecasts; 10 days but that does not help with decision making at this stage.

I would not let the likelihood of some rain and cloud cover put you off visiting Nepal at that time. I can't comment on the other places.

Good luck.

scoodly

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,185 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
4. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

Ladakh and Spiti have a dry climate. Late September is fine there, except it becomes very cold at night for high altitude trekking.

The rest of the Indian Himalayas (like Sikkim) get the monssoon just like Nepal.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
5. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

There are very significant Tibetan like Buddhist monasteries and similar places in Ladahk that are accessible by not trekking and the weather will be much better. Two weeks there and doing the 6-7 day Marka trek with time to explore around Leh would be perfect. The Ladahk mountains are very barren and desert like whereas eastern Annurpanas and Langtang treks in Nepal, which you only have time for are much greener.

September end has more chance of rain in Nepal but there is also much beauty with many waterfalls, streams and lush forests in areas and a simple umbrella and raincoat is that is needed to overcome that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
6. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

Great, thanks a lot. What itinerary would you recommend to people who are keen on Buddhist culture more than high altitude treks? We would have 13 days (as we would arrive in Khatmandu at 9 am on the 18th of Sept and fly back on the 30th). I understand weather in Tibet would be much better but the flights to Lhasa are too expensive. I thought about going overland to Lhasa and back but not sure it is worthwhile in 2 weeks.

Thanks

Andrea

Lake District...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Kathmandu
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
39 reviews
28 helpful votes
7. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

No Problem Andrea – Pleased to be of help :-)

OK – I know that you said that are you are keener on Buddhist culture more than high altitude treks – But IF you wanted to, you could combine the two with the short Everest Panorama Trek – Early morning flight to Lukla – Then one night at somewhere like Benkar, two nights at Namche Bazaar and your last night at Lukla before flying back to Kathmandu – The reason that I suggest this is that there are some wonderful monasteries to see on the trail as well as a great museum in Namche + You also get to see Everest.

There are other options – The main attractions for you will probably be in Kathmandu and the surrounding valley and places like Bhaktapur will also be a Must See, preferably with at least one overnight stay so as to be able to immerse yourself and as most visit as a day trip, having the evenings more or less to yourselves is a wonderful experience.

You will also no doubt want to spend some time in Pokhara and there are things like the Tibetan Refugee Camp and The World Peace Pagoda to visit – So filing your time in Nepal Will NOT be a problem :-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

Travel Pages including Nepal blog https://web.archive.org/web/20150906143420/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/

Kathmandu, Nepal
2 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

September marks the end of the monsoons in Nepal. However it still rains quite a lot in September. ... There is a possibility of rain for about 12 days throughout the month. The average daily temperatures are around 23°C (73°F), reaching highs of 26°C (79°F) and dropping to an average minimum temperature of 19°C (66°F). In practice, many travellers and trekkers start their trekking and tour from the end of the September . Even you can trek up to Everest Base Camp and others . You are welcome to Nepal

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
9. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

Hi Andrea

Some thoughts on things Buddhist culture things to see and do:

There are a number of places in and around Kathmandu that might interest you. Swayambunath and Boudhanath are two of the seven World Heritage sights in KTM and are on many people's 'to see' list.

Close to swayambunath is Three Buddha Park which had until recently the largest Buddha statues in Nepal.

About a mile away from Boudhanath is Chabahil Stupa which is smaller but still important and hardly visited by travellers.

Gokarneswor is a Hindu temple complex a short taxi ride from Boudhanath which has a number of statues, one is of the Buddha and said to be the oldest in the KTM valley (I have read it's 2000 years old but...).

Kathesimbhu Stupa, on the way from Thamel to KTM Durbar square, is a copy of the stupa at Swayambunath and the monastery in the small square is worth a visit. It's a peaceful enclave in the midst of busy KTM.

There are lots of Buddhist monasteries near Boudhanath Stupa. The two or three on the Stupa circle offer tours by monks which are interesting if a little rushed but you should stil be able to wander around on your own. Less busy ones include Shechen which is five minutes walk from the stupa and has a beautiful shrine hall with frequent pujas.

Kopan is also worth visiting. It's 45 to 60 minutes on foot away from Boudhanath or a short taxi ride. It offers dharma talks on some days. It's also possible to stay there for a minimum of three nights if there are no courses or retreats taking place.

there are many other much less visited or known monasteries close to Boudhanath and they are usually open and welcoming to visitors. You could just wander around but this map might help:

http://www.boudhamap.com/

A couple of places further away from KTM city worth seeing are Namobuddha & Thrangu Tashi monastery (which has a guesthouse) and Pharping. N is important to Buddhists and the nearby monastery is very beautiful. the surrounding hills are worth walking around too. Pharping has a couple of sacred caves and monasteries. Not far away is Dollu and the monastery there is also worth a visit.

Boudhanath and nearby has a strong Buddhist and Tibetan culture but to experience this more it would be good to get out of KTM and into the mountains. Possibilities include flying to Lukla for a short trek to Namche and around there (note the possibility of delayed flights into and out of Lukla), taking a bus into Upper Helambu followed by a hike to villages such as as Melamchigaon, Sermathang and Tarkhegyang for Yolmo Sherpa culture. (I'm not sure how far the bus goes these days.).

scoodly

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,185 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
10. Re: Nepal in 17-30 September - weather
Save

However the Kathmandu valley belongs to the Hindu culture rather than the Buddhist culture.

Ethnic groups living in the mountains, like the Sherpas, are Tibetan Buddhist and there are monasteries there.

Ladakh and Spiti are Tibetan Buddhist.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.