We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?

Kathmandu, Nepal
4 posts
To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

My partner and I are currently in Kathmandu trying to decide if weather/conditions will be good enough to hike the Annapurna Circuit starting June 28,2018. Being monsoon season it's a risk but guides and locals (who used to guide but now have no vested interest) say that it is possible. Has anyone been on the trek recently enough to know it's current conditions? Anyone else think it's worth trying? Happy to have others join us if we go. Would really appreciate any insight and advice.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

Hi if you are already in Kathmandu I would advice you to start the trek as soon as possible because the later you want to start means you want to wait for more rain and till Chame it will be effect of monsoon but afterward chame till tukuche it there is very less possibility for raining. You can still do this trek by this time but be careful and do not start in big rain or so.

Happy holiday! G

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
2. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

It can still be a good experience minus the best possible clear skies and mountain views more of the time. You will still see ocassional views, nice Nepalese culture and terrain up close and despite what many stereotype monsoon or more rain period as a bad thing there is beauty in the rain. Apart from more leaches and being more wet, you will see the vegetation thrive in rain, clear steams, many waterfalls and misty hillsides etc.

It may not rain constantly so there should be breaks in the day and some views. The section after Thorung La pass going anticlockwise is dryer so less rain. It will be warmer so trek in shorts even with rain as it does not matter if legs get wet.

Take an umbrella as this is more useful than a raincoat though you should take that as well.

Edited: 2 years ago
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
3. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

Hi MUDCHILD

I have trekked the AC but not in the monsoon but have trekked Langtang/Gosainkund/Helambu, as well as others in the monsoon, so some thoughts:

I do not know the current conditions, but starting a soon as possible is a good idea if the general monsoon pattern holds i.e. that the monsoon gets heavier from the end of June into July. It's not necessarilly liek that tyhough and there could be wetter spells earlier and drier spells later on but it's difficult to predict and you just have to trust to luck, really.

The higher parts of the trek get some rain shadow protection because the slopes to the south bear the brunt of the precipitation. This does not mean no rain or snow just less, with a bit of luck. Snow is possible at the top though it could still be rain over the pass - prepare for both rain and snow. I have been at just below 5000m in the monsoon and it rained, others have reported snow on Thorung La, ~5400m. Be careful about crossing the pass in bad weather and take advice of the locals and your guide (if hiring) - this is good advice at any time fo year not just the monsoon.

I certainly think the AC is worth trying in the monsoon: it's possibly the best of the 'open' area treks at this time of year because of the rain shadow protection - there are disagreements to its extent but most would say there is some reduction in precipitation. For greater protection Upper Mustang and Upper Dolpo but the permits for these 'restricted' area treks are expensive (and UD requires camping - an added expense). I did not find leeches the greatest of problems: the though was worse than the reality. I had about 1 bite per day, most hardly noticed.

trekkingpartners.com is worth trying for buddies, even at this late stage.

Good luck.

scoodly

Oodnadatta...
Level Contributor
821 posts
4. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

how do you define worth it

I have trekked the full Annapurna Circuit in June July and loved it

certainly take an umbrella - I used mine to keep the high altitude sun off me and to shade the camera

there have been plenty of groups heading up there lately so ask around in Kathmandu as it shouldn't be hard to find someone who has just returned

Kathmandu, Nepal
4 posts
5. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

Hi Gokarna B,

Its good to know that it's still possible. Thank you!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

You welcome and have safe trek 🙏

Edited: 2 years ago
Kathmandu, Nepal
4 posts
7. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

Hi all,

Thank you for your advice and insight! It helps tremendously. My primary concerns are mudslides and secure footing but it sounds like so long as we remain cautious and attentive we should be fine. Thanks for the umbrella note! I hadn't considered that.

Two more questions... Any advice on how to avoid leeches or what to do when you get them? Also, since it will be so much warmer is there any need for sleeping bags?

We'll probably head out in the next two days and can't wait to experience hiking in the rain, mist, clouds, and green of the mountains as well as get to know the local culture in the "down" season.

Thank you!!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
259 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

Hi,

Leaches won't be still problem in my opinion but however you can just ask salt in teahouse and keep them in your feet to avoid from it and sleeping bag now isn't very necessary because it is off season and very less people and you can get blankets and request for extra if in case you feel you need them higher up Throng Phedi /high Camp other places one blanket should be enough but for your more comfort taking sleeping bag isn't bad idea too. Bedsheets and blanket cover aren't very fresh in mountain and it is understandable I think.

Happy trek! G

Kathmandu, Nepal
4 posts
9. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

Thanks Gokarna B! Happy treks to you as well!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
10. Re: To hike the Annapurna Circuit in June/July or not?
Save

Most lodges have blankets and a sleeping bag is for backup and personal hygiene.

Avoid touching vegetation on the side of tracks and keep an eye out on the ground, carry a salt shaker. Google for leach management such as the bleeding control.

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.