We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Momos - are they safe to eat?

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
34 reviews
34 helpful votes
Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

I have read some comments about lots of people being sick and the suggestion that momos can be a problem. I have been really looking forward to trying them. Are there recommended places to go to and to avoid in Kathmandu and Pokhara? Is it an issue of bad hygiene, meat being undercooked or just unlucky? Are vegie momos ok in most places and on Annapurna Base Camp trek? We plan to be vegetarian on trek for better stomach safety and respect for their religious beliefs .

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
240 reviews
194 helpful votes
1. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

Angel

It’s a mixed bag stat. Some fare ok others don’t.

It’s the hygiene and cross contamination imho.

Mostly cross contam I must say otherwise they are throughly steamed.

They taste damn good for sure haha

Round’em up in KTM and PKR at a halfway decent joint instead of at trails.

As for going completely vegetarian out of respect I don’t know what you talking about - unlike India Nepalese for the most part eat meat (except beef). You will be protein starved on the trails Chicken curry would be not as bad.

I usually buy buff jerky (that’s buffalo for you haha) and hard yak cheese from the local grocery store and bring then to the trails. But that’s just me.

Edited: 3 years ago
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

Hi Angel

I have not knowingly had an issue with momos; I don't avoid them per se, it depends on what assessment I can make of the eatery and if I don't want to eat momos, I probably don't want to eat anything there. I do not eat meat anyway so can't comment from experience but standard advice is to avoid it on the trek because of long transportation and lack of refrigeration cited as common reasons. I don't have a recommended place in central KTM but Double Dorje in Boudhanath is excellent and not just for momos.

Eggs are a regularly available source of protein whether for breakfast or in a curry.

scoodly

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
229 posts
14 reviews
21 helpful votes
3. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

They use "white flour" for its preparation and our digestive system takes more time to digest White flour. I have also seen some people using chicken fats to make more profit and comsuming large quantity of fats as wella s meat when you trek at higher altitude results in improper digestion.

i think eating 5-6 pieces of chicken momo would be fine. The people who suffered may have had countless number of momos bcz it's difficult to resist after you taste one :P

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
61 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

Hi,

Although personally, I don't like them Momos seem to be in general safe to eat. As a safety precaution, I would suggest vegetable over meat and fried over steamed.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
4,267 posts
121 reviews
61 helpful votes
5. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

Not scientific, but most times when we meet someone with diarrhea, we find out they've eaten momos in the past 24 hrs. Happened 2x on our most recent trek.

We stay away from them.

Each to their own.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,367 posts
10 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

Hi, both my husband and my younger daughter tried the veggie momos on our trek and loved them, had no problems at all. I didn't touch them and suffered from diarrhea throughout the trek, go figure:) The white flour in the momos would act more as a gut glue leading to, if anything, constipation rather than a diarrhea so my best guess is that the diarrhea problems from momos are likely due to cross contamination. If you were looking forward to trying them, I would do it when you are back in KTM after the trek.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
6,417 posts
93 reviews
121 helpful votes
7. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

I've only ever eaten momos on the trail once that I recall... and those were made in large part by one of guides. We all survived no worse for wear lol. I actually did get mildly sick on the trek last month, though not sure the exact cause. Lost a little sleep and used a couple of my pills, but in reality with squat toilets the quicker the better haha.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
13,190 posts
464 reviews
472 helpful votes
8. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?
Save

The Gilingche tibetan restaurant is the place i go for buff momos in Thamel.

Meat momos are more 'traditional' than vegetarian momos, which were introduced rather recently.

I only meat momos in restaurants specializing in momos (generally with ready made momos), never in trekking lodges.

9. Re: Momos - are they safe to eat?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: November 19, 2018, 1:16 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.