We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting thru the airport

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
Getting thru the airport
Save

We arrive in Kathmandu at 12:10 and would like to catch a flight to Bharatpur at 15:50. Is that reasonable given that we need to go thru immigration and get our visas?

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Getting thru the airport
Save

Hi

I think that's reasonable: 3 hours 40 minutes should be OK to get on a domestic flight. An average time to clear the formalities after the international flight including waiting for checked bags is some 90 minutes, it's a 5 minute or so walk to the domestic terminal and you would need to check in an hour before the Bharatpur flight. That's 2 hours 35 giving an hour or so buffer. (I'm quite risk averse when it comes ot logisitics in Nepal but I would go for this.)

All depends on the international flight arriving on time or with a short delay.

Good luck.

scoodly

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
61 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Getting thru the airport
Save

Hi,

While I agree with scoodly that it's doable I would like to urge some caution. A lot of flights are scheduled to arrive in the early afternoon in Kathmandu and last time I flew in we had to circle almost an hour before we could land due to the congestion on the tarmac. That would still give you enough time to complete formalities and get on your domestic flight but it would do little good for your stress levels.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
240 reviews
194 helpful votes
3. Re: Getting thru the airport
Save

One thing I never thought of until this point hey about transiting from International to domestic is how the heck you get there easily? Granted it about a 300 m or so walk You can’t go from building to building - You have to come to a roundabout

Edited: 3 years ago
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
240 reviews
194 helpful votes
4. Re: Getting thru the airport
Save

Oops the above post got sent incomplete -

You have to come to a roundabout and walk through the main road to the airport terminal right?? Is there a foot path even? And are you allowed to take the lugging Cart? I don’t think there’s any shuttle either - So one may resort to hiring a taxi - right???

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
61 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: Getting thru the airport
Save

Hi,

If you need a luggage cart you are carrying to much stuff! And yes you'll have to follow the road and walk for about three minutes or so.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
38 helpful votes
6. Re: Getting thru the airport
Save

Make sure you fill in online visa application form so you can go straight to the payment counter. There are machines to fill it in on the airport but it can take a while in the queue.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
7. Re: Getting thru the airport
Save

A good point about avoiding using the terminals for a VOA. This can also be achieved by printing and completing the paper application form in advance.

scoodly

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
349 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Getting thru the airport
Save

Please print out the paper visa form and filled it as well as 2 pictures and exact dollar amount to pay for the visa. You also need to fill out an arrival form(which should be given to you by flight attendants).

After landing, you can go straight to the money counter to pay for the visa and then go through immigration.

I got the advice front WanderingEric about paying for a porter to help with the luggage to go to domestic terminal. It is money well spent! I definitely recommend it. The Domestic terminal is quite far with uneven path and lack of sidewalk.

3 hr 40 minutes should be enough. The Domestic flights are quite lax. I was early for my actually flight and even able to change my flight to a departing flight and get through security with time to spare.

9. Re: Getting thru the airport

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: November 19, 2018, 1:15 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.