We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gokyo Valley March 2018

Tanzania
Level Contributor
29 posts
61 reviews
39 helpful votes
Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Dear Forum, my daughter will be doing the trekking trip in March with some of her friends from school. We received a packing list, but GOSH, what a lot of stuff! So I have a couple of questions and hope you can help.

Is it really nessecary to send a 4 season sleeping bag? Will a 2 season suffice and I add a thermal blanket?

Also, will a 60litre MAX duffle bag be enough space for all her things for 15 days?

Please shed some light on this for me as I feel completely lost between the must have's and nice to have etc. Thank you!!!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
1. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Hi Annie

I would not say a 4 season bag is really necessary but I would recommend one. A 2 season bag augmented with other things whether a bag liner (silk, fleece...), a blanket from the lodges or base layers (or combinations of these) might suffice but a warmer bag to begin with is better in my view. I used a 4 season with base layers at Gokyo in early April which worked for me; men tend to sleep warmer than women. What sort of thermal blanket do you mean?

A 60L duffle plus day sack should be enough. However, it does depend on what she is taking on the trek. Some companies suggest too many of particular items and some types of kit are bulkier than others (e.g a cheaper down jacket will take up more space than a more expensive one using higher quality down).

There is a gear list to the top right of the Nepal forum that might help but bear in mind that it's probably overkill (and would not fit in a 60L bag). Has the company proide a list? If so maybe you could post it here or ask abotu the other things you are not sure of.

scoodly

Tanzania
Level Contributor
29 posts
61 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Dear Scoodly, Thank you for your reply. The Kit list came from the school. I suppose it's not that much considering it's for 15 days, but for someone who needs to buy everything it's quite a lot, but what I will do is to compare the Kit list provided to the one on the FORUM. Again, thank you for the advise.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
3. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

You're welcome Annie.

Schools =, I imagine, will tend to be cautious and suggest to take more than is necessary and many trekkers report taking less gear each time they trek. I woudl be happy to chack the list.

Also some of the more expensive items can be rented in KTM. It'ss common for people to rent sleeping bags and down jackets at about $1 per day each. Thsi can save a lot of money and is a good option if these will not be used again.

scoodly

Carthage, Tunisia
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
77 reviews
49 helpful votes
4. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Another factor to be aware of is that the checked in baggage allowance on Lukla flights is 10 kg and any extra over that has to be paid for as excess baggage.

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
61 reviews
16 helpful votes
5. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Hi Annie,

I would go for a 4-season bag if you have one, although a 3-season bag and some blankets from the lodge will do as well. Just keep in mind that at Gokyo it freezes at night even in March. The most important items, in my opinion, are a dry layer to put on after you have finished hiking for the day. Nothing makes you as cold and miserable as sitting around in cold, wet clothing.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Tanzania
Level Contributor
29 posts
61 reviews
39 helpful votes
6. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Hi Scoodly. Well apart from underwear and your basic toiletries, first aid kit and the diamox tablets, the school advised us to have 1. a Pack Liner 2. Holdall (60litres max), 3. Walking poles (this I will rent) 4. Waterbottle and Water bladder, 5. 3 Season or 4 season sleeping bag. 6. Sunglasses 7. Season Trekking Boots (got that!), 8. x3 Socks (smartwool), 9. flip fllps 10. Trainers 11. x2 Zip off trekking trousers, 12. x2 Cargo shorts, 13. Base pants thermal layer, 14. Mid layer x1, 15. Warm Layer x1, 16. Shell Jacket (done! I bought a 3 in 1). 17. Shell Pants x1, 18. Down Jacket 19. Sun hat, 20. Beanie 21. Gloves, What do you think? You think this should do the trick?

Lake District...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Kathmandu
Level Contributor
7,038 posts
39 reviews
28 helpful votes
7. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Lots of god info already posted and as already mentioned, March still gets very cold at altitude, so I would also opt for the 4 seasons sleeping bag (But rent it as well as the down jacket locally)

Ten rest of the list

The holdall will be left in the hotel and not taken on trek

I would bin the flip-flops and trainers and take a pair of lightweight trekking sandals for showering and wearing in the evening

I wouldn’t take the shorts (Zip offs will suffice if shorts are needed)

I would bin the bladder (a 1 litre water will suffice as there are lots of opportunities to buy liquids)

The rest sounds reasonable + I would add a bandana as it can get dusty up there :-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Travel Pages including Nepal blog https://web.archive.org/web/20150906143420/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Hi Annie

Some thoughts:

Walking poles are widely available and fairly cheap to buy, some $10 to $15. It might be possible to rent and the cost will be something like the difference between the new value and second hand value. It might take some legwork to find places that she can rent them. That said, I do not think they are necessary for that trek and for somebody using them the first time. More info here:

http://medphys.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/gear/poles/poles1.html

Water bottle and bladder; I think both are not necessary. A 1L bottle should suffice because there are lots of lodges where water can be obtained. if they are trekking beyond the lodges further up the valley for a day hike there is only ground water available rather than boiled water for the lodges. How will she make the water safe for drinking?

Trousers/shorts: 4 pairs may not be necessary, I would consider just one pair of shorts.

I appreciate that I have a different, less cautious perspective than the school but I have tried to take this into account and not suggest loosing too many clothes.

scoodly

Tanzania
Level Contributor
29 posts
61 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

Thank you, this is really helpfull. She's super excited and I'm super nervous for her trip, but I'm trying to do as much research as possible. Again, thank you for your input Scoodly.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
10. Re: Gokyo Valley March 2018
Save

You're welcome, I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience for her.

scoodly

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.