We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
37 helpful votes
Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

Hi,

I'm a solo traveler aiming to trek either Three Passes in the Everest region (preferably walk in from Jiri to Lukla which adds a few days), or Manaslu (with Tsum valley thrown in hopefully), starting end Nov 2017. Both treks take around 20 days. I arrive in KTM on 26 Nov.

I have contacted the agency I used in my last trek and got good prices from them (I plan to hire a porter or porter-guide only). I'm looking for a buddy or two to join up.

I've posted on trekkingpartners.com already, no response so far. Hope to hear from someone starting on a similar date here.

Cheers!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
1. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

You might be able to link with people once out on your trek - indie trekkers tend to be more social and outgoing than those in larger groups.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
2. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

Hi madmitoc

For Manaslu you will need to find the buddies in advance of the trek so you can get the permit in KTM.

As I understand it, the regulations require a licenced guide. However, there seems to some flexibility.

Good luck finding buddies.

scoodly

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
37 helpful votes
3. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

@rdcomments - I agree that there is a fair chance of buddying up on the trek - been to AC with 2 buddies found online, ended up with 7 trekkers altogether in the last quarter of it :) Three passes / manaslu aren't as popular as AC though, and Nov/Dec is tapering off the high season, that's why I'm posting and hoping to buddy up before leaving it to chance.

@scoodly - yes I've been told the permit needs 2 people due to its restricted nature, that's another reason I gotta get a buddy to get there. It's highly recommended by a lot of people I've been talking to, even above the Everest region. Have you been there before?

Thanks for your comments guys!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
4. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

I am looking at doing Manaslu, for what will be my first time, this Dec - Jan. A second trekker is, I understand, still required, but there are ways of dealing with this ("ghost trekkers"). The cost of the permits etc for the "2nd" trekker will probably be less than the flights to Lukla, so I am umming and ahhing between M and the 3HPs - I will also see what my main guide says re the paperwork, but he is out doing AC at present, his brother is doing the 3HPs, so communications are limited.

I now trek with one or other of my guides (2 brothers, 1 per trek) - so the question of guides does not arise for me (this will be my 9th trek with, one of, them) but if you want more company, I still think there is a reasonable chance of linking up with others, for at least part of the trek. Mid winter trekking seems to have become less unpopular in the past 3-4 years - there were a few people to chat with in some of the lodges when doing the 3HPs in 2015-16, and we in effect trekked with some other indie trekkers for parts of AC in Jan - Feb 2016, especially when we (really my and another young guides) persuaded some locals to walk up from Khangsar with us to open up a lodge at Tilicho base camp for a couple of nights - this worked very well (after 4+ plus hours of negotiating in Khangsar...).

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
37 helpful votes
5. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

@rdccomments 4+ hours of negotiating sounds exhausting enough, haha. But yeah I agree with you that mid-winter trekking isn't as bad as I imagined before my first trip, and everyone I encountered in AC seemed to enjoy it tremendously. In fact afterwards I read into it a bit more and found people calling it a well kept secret. Far fewer people (only downside to that is increased difficulty to find a buddy, ha), clear dry weather, and still tolerable temperatures at night.

I heard about ghost trekking in Manaslu as well. Not sure how "legal" that is. I suppose they could pick trouble with you if they so desire, or close one eye. It's pretty grey. The permit is fairly expensive, but the trek is probably well worth it - not sure I'd have the budget or heart to pay double and go alone though.

And either way, I think having a buddy is important for safety. If something happens to me, the porter probably knows what to do. But if something happens to the porter, or he makes some bad calls? I'm not sure I'd be totally competent for either of our safety there.

In the last trek, one of my two buddies went way ahead with his porter, cross Thorung La that same day instead of staying in high camp, with no prior discussion with anyone (he later said it was a mistake), and left us behind full of worries for him and confusion over what best to do.

Some days before that, the other porter left my other buddy and I behind, coming down from the two ice lakes near Manang, telling us it was pretty close now and he would go ahead to get food ready, and we almost lost our way several times and spent a good 3 to 4 hours trudging back. I shudder to think what could happen if it was just me and a porter and the porter makes some poor decision like that.

Good luck for your trip planning too!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
6. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

Hi again

Ghosting is illegal: it's against the Immigration Act 2008. the grey area si whether you will get away with it.

scoodly

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
37 helpful votes
7. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

@scoodly - thanks, that's good to know. The agency told me the same, and also how some people tried to get away with it (claiming their ghost buddy got sick and went back down etc.), not sure how that worked out for them. I fully intend to get a buddy if going Manaslu though.

Edited: 3 years ago
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,755 posts
63 reviews
49 helpful votes
8. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

You're welcome. It's not only better to be safe than sorry (e.g. being turned back at a check point) but there is also the ethical responsibility of following a country's laws.

Good luck, I hope you find a buddy and enjoy the trek.

scoodly

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
2,891 posts
9. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

I have not used a "ghost", but it seems quite a few do, and I have not heard or read of there being major problems - after all it enables people, such as me, to visit and spend money in areas that otherwise I would not be able to visit (that is the main reason why I have done say AC 4 times now, but Manaslu not at all - and they right next door to each other).

I am not keen on joining up with someone I don't know - I get on really well with my guides, but am very independent, so as well as the question of whether I would get on with the other trekker, I would lose some of my freedom to shape the trek as I wish.

Without tourist money, pretty much all the trekking areas would be far poorer, with highly detrimental effects on local employment, family separation (younger people being forced to move away to earn a living), local schools, health care and so on. In my view, the "ethical" aspect needs to take these sorts of considerations into account.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
19 posts
57 reviews
37 helpful votes
10. Re: Looking for buddy (Three Passes or Manaslu trek) end Nov
Save

I agree with both of your views really. One gotta respect the local laws (even somewhat odd or irrational ones), at the same time push for some improvement and reform. The money that tourists pay for room and board is obviously quite important for these remote mountainous regions. Interestingly, the villages on the other side of Thorung La (Muktinath onwards) seemed to be wealthier and in better shape than the other half, and I wondered why, but didn't read into it. Any idea?

I did ask my agent what the reason for the minimum two person requirement is, whether it has to do with the proximity to the border area, or cultural/historical/political/geographical factors, and he said it's a mix of all of them. I kinda suspect it's more geopolitical in nature, as Upper Mustang and Tsum Valley have additional restrictions too and those are right on the border. But then again, how does the requirement of minimum two trekkers help with...not running over the border? Not getting into mishaps? That beats me.. Hopefully they'll have the sense to relax that soon.

Edited: 3 years ago
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.