We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mauritius without a hotel booking

Greater...
3 posts
1 review
Mauritius without a hotel booking
Save

hi there, i hope some one can advise, my wife and I are booked to visit Mauritius from 9th August to 20 Aug-2016, this is our first trip and we would like to see as much of the island as we can, that means the interior, towns markets and reserves as well as the beaches i have made a booking for a lodge near Black River Gorges for the first 3 nights, the plan after that was to spend maybe 4 nights around Grand Baie and then the last 4 maybe at Flic en Flac, we were advised to avoid staying on the east coast during August because of winds and temperature and was planning to visit the east side just on day trips, we will have a car for the entire trip, we are hoping to stay in self catering accommodation most of the time and would like one of the places to actually be on the beach rather than having to travel to one, now my question is

would it be best to book accommodation for the entire trip before we arrive or can i safely assume that with the first 3 nights taken care of that i can then find suitable accommodation while i am there

SALT of Palmar
SALT of Palmar
#1 of 3 hotels in Palmar
LUX* Belle Mare
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 10 hotels in Belle Mare
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
Paradise Cove Boutique Hotel
#1 of 2 hotels in Anse La Raie
Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: Mauritius without a hotel booking
Save

You may have problems with your plan as you have to give the details of your accommodation to immigration on arrival in order to gain entry to the country. I'm not sure if they will accept only partial bookings rather than for your entire stay. Perhaps someone else has more info on this for you. It's an interesting question.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
27,633 posts
3,086 reviews
2,691 helpful votes
2. Re: Mauritius without a hotel booking
Save

Immigration certainly want details of accommodation and address for your stay. Not sure whether it is the entire length though.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
58,359 posts
155 reviews
1,037 helpful votes
3. Re: Mauritius without a hotel booking
Save

I feel sure people have done this on forum - I think provided you have an initial address they are OK about it.

The only problem I can see is if the Immigration Dept need to contact you for any reason and can't because you've moved on to other accommodation but TBH I don't think that will be an issue.

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
201 reviews
424 helpful votes
4. Re: Mauritius without a hotel booking
Save

Be precise about the address of your accommodation on your immigration form. The large hotels are fine as they are well known but if staying in Villas/Apartments etc. they want to know the full address, so put as much detail as you can, it slows down the process otherwise..

Greater...
3 posts
1 review
5. Re: Mauritius without a hotel booking
Save

Thanks a lot for the information all of you but i was more concerned with the availability of hotels rather than with immigration , are we likely to find all good hotels booked out?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
58,359 posts
155 reviews
1,037 helpful votes
6. Re: Mauritius without a hotel booking
Save

August is low season so you shouldn't have any problems with availability.

7. Re: Mauritius without a hotel booking

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: July 17, 2017, 12:19 pm
Get answers to your questions about Mauritius
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.