We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location

mumbai
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

HI,

I am surprising my hubby for his bday and taking him off to mauritius. But can not decide where ti stay?! we are a young newly married couple.. I am looking for a super luxury hotel which is not too far from all the action mauritius has to offer.. Suggestions pls?!

Thanks,

Nid

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
27,636 posts
3,086 reviews
2,694 helpful votes
1. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

Oberoi

or

Trou aux Biches

Both are in the north west of the island, short drive away from Grand Baie and suitable all year round.

mumbai
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

HI thanks! but is Trou aux biches a very family type resort? I ideally didnt want something which is too kid/family oriented.. HOw's The residence or Le Troussok or Maradiva Villas or Lux Belle Mare?

Pls advice! want something romantic and luxurious!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
58,377 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
3. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

Nid what month are you going? That could play a major factor in location.

Trou aux Biches is a lovely resort and attracts couples and families but the resort is so spaced out and their great kids club keeps the small ones occupied. Its recently been rebuilt and the rooms and bathrooms at all levels are fabulous. Nice suites with plunge pools and outdoor living area.

Like wise the Oberoi, lovely resort and accomodation.

Maradiva too - suites are great with their own private plunge pools.

Lux Belle Mare has good reports on here and LT is first class but on the east of the island which you need to avoid in July and August as its quite cool some days then.

The majority of hotels in Mauritius are family friendly and you will get kids at all resorts. There's one resort at Anse Le Raie which is couples only, Paradise Cove.

You have one very lucky husband!

Regards

Bronia :)

mumbai
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

HI Bronia! thanks for the update, we are going next week! 30th July to be exact.. i guess in July west coast seems to have least rain.

Do all the rooms in trou aux biches have plunge pools? Also what coast is it on?

Basis the time of year we are going, what do you suggest? any other reccomendations for hotels? HOws the paradise Cove that you said is couples only?

mumbai
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

Also where would the best beaches be that we can enjoy in July-Aug?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,377 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
6. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

OK then you need to be making decisions now.

I would advise against the east or south now as its winter and its definitely cooler there than the north or west.

Trou aux Biches I loved when I visited it a few months ago. I looked round all the rooms and it was only some suites and villas had plunge pools.

Fabulous resort, huge gym, on one of the best beaches in Mauritius and in a good location in the village. Places to eat out withing walking distance, money exchange and tour operators, and a good local supermarket Chez Popos which stocks everything and is popular with both residents and tourists alike.

The bus stops outside and you can be in Grand Baie with all its facilities within 20 minutes, or visit the nearby lovely beach of Mont Choisy or Point aux Piments or even go to Port Louis.

See Beachcombers website for details on TAB:

www.beachcomber-hotels.com

Oberoi is a bit futher down towards Balaclava and I loved it when I visited it the other month. Ordinary rooms dont have plunge pools.

Their HB package is good - it doesnt do buffet just a la carte.

www.oberoi-mauritius.com

Maradiva's villas all have plunge pools, and its in a good location around 10 minutes drive to the small town of Flic en Flac on the west coast.

I last looked round here about 3 years ago when I stayed at the hotel next door.

Paradise Cove is north, a small boutique hotel and it has a 20% discount at the moment, but its not as good as the others. On teh bus route though.

www.paradisecovehotel.com

Good luck and hope your husband has a Happy Birthday!

Best wishes

Bronia :-)

Edited: 8 years ago
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,377 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
7. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

Sorry forgot to include Maradivas website:

www.maradiva.com

mumbai
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

thankyouuu!!

ok so have finally booked maradiva for 1st 2 nights and have left 3rd night open to decide once we get thr! would you advice to rent a car or are taxis inexpensive in mauritius?

Thanks agnn, you've been super helpful :)

mumbai
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

How should i get to the hotel from the airport and how long would it take? Is there a bus stop close to the hotel?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,377 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
10. Re: confused!surprising hubby for his bday.can;t decide location
Save

I would hire a car - taxis are expensive for everyday use IMO.

There are taxis at the airport but you could pre-book an airport transfer.

One company a lot of people including myself use, very good reputation and reliable, is

www.taxismauritius.com

Transfers take about an hour. Your nearest bus stop is near the Hilton which is a bit of walk from Maradiva.

Enjoy the Maradiva!

Bronia :-)

Get answers to your questions about Mauritius
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.