We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Commuting to Port Louis

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
51 reviews
66 helpful votes
Commuting to Port Louis
Save

Hi I've been researching like mad over the weekend and found lots of helpful hints.

I've another question...

I'll be working in Port Louis in June. But want to stay in a self catering resort a little bit out.

Can anyone recommed areas 15 to 30 mins commute max.

I've read some scary posts about traffic around the city.

Once I get the areas I'll zoom in on accomodation. Many thanks...again.

S.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
58,389 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
1. Re: Commuting to Port Louis
Save

Hi S,

Think maybe you would be better staying somewhere north west as closest to drive from city. Once out of the city and on to the Motorway its not as bad, but I would say in 30 minutes you can be in Balaclava where there are a few hotels and Pointe Aux Piments and Trou aux Biches which have at least 5 decent 3* hotels between them.

Trou aux Biches and next door Mont Choisy both have lots of places to rent. Great beaches too.

Well, that would be my choice.

More choice at Perybere to the north as well, though you have to add maye an extra 10/15 minutes on your schedule.

Good luck,

Bronia :)

Kempton Park, South...
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Commuting to Port Louis
Save

Hi

I agree with Bronia.

The west and maybe the North will be your best bet.

To get to and from Port Louis there is a very good bus service and is very cheap. Between Grand Baie and Port Louis you can expect a bus every 5 minutes or so and the same back. Only problem in Port Louis is you will have to get the bus at the bus terminus. Where as the bus stops is at 500 meter to 1 km intervals most of the way between Grand Baie, Mont Choicy, Troux aux Biches, Triolet, Baclava and Port Louis.

There is express buses running between Port Louis and Grand Baie and such a drive take about 20 to 30 minutes a direction.

Getting you own wheels will be a good option. Motorcycles and scooters is widely used. The traffic around Port Louis is nothing to compare with places like New York, London, Johannesburg or Hong Kong! It is a breeze in that traffic in and around Port Louis!

Hope this will help!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
3. Re: Commuting to Port Louis
Save

Pointe aux Sables region is about 20-30 mins to Port Louis during peak hour.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
4. Re: Commuting to Port Louis
Save

That depends also in which part of Port Louis you are working.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
51 reviews
66 helpful votes
5. Re: Commuting to Port Louis
Save

Hi there, well. I went for north...Troux aux Biches. Roads are fine, but driving is a little less controlled that I'm used to. But it's great. I'm working in Pailles, just south of Port Louis central. My colleagues tipped me off to start and finish early before rush hour. So I start at 0730 and finish by 1530. This means I'm missing worst of the rush hour each day. Driving seems safe and sound, police keep the traffic moving well. Watch out for the motorbikes...overtake on both sides of you.

Kempton Park, South...
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Commuting to Port Louis
Save

Hi there!

Very wise choice! And good advise from your work mates. I know about the motorbikes, can strech one's nerves to the max!

Enjoy your stay in paradise. I hope you have a wonderfull time!

7. Re: Commuting to Port Louis

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: December 21, 2009, 1:17 pm
Get answers to your questions about Mauritius
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.