We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)

Hook, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advise from all you Mauritius experts out there - please.

My husband and I are currently booked to travel to the Maldives this September to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. However, as the Covid cases in the Maldives have soared in recent months plus it is on the UK's Red List for travel we are starting to look elsewhere for something similar (lovely beach, all inclusive, peace & quiet etc).

We are currently looking at Paradise Cove for 12 nights as we really like the look of the resort - plus its adults only.

Currently Mauritius is on the UK's Amber List for travel and we were wondering what people's thoughts were on the possibility of it being added to the UK's Green List for travel by September or earlier really? Also would you have any thoughts on what the requirements may be for entry - both of us are fully vaccinated. Hopefully, we wouldn't have to quarantine on arrivals!!!

Am I correct in thinking that International travel has been banned until the end of June? Is that date reviewed at all?

What could we expect from the weather on the North side of the island from mid September? Any suggestions for a couple of day trips.

Sorry for all the questions - Your help and advise will be greatly received - Thank you very much

Zoe

8 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
58,944 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
1. Re: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

You are correct that the borders are closed until 30th June and the advice will be reviewed again then.

https://booking.mymauritius.travel/

I wouldnt make any new bookings at the moment.

We have had a trip booked since 18 months ago and rescheduled 4 times already and we still have no idea if we will be able to travel on our last rescheduled date which is in October.

Keep an eye on this thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k13275434-o2160-Mauritius_in_lockdown-Mauritius.html

Plus the vaccine thread:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k13542774-State_of_vaccination-Mauritius.html

We've visited Paradise Cove twice in the past few years. Nice boutique resort but IMO let down by the small silty beach. Location is good and about a 15 minute drive from Grand Baie and on a bus route but nothing close by except the public beach.

Hook, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

Hi Bronia,

Many thanks for your advise. I will of course keep an eye on the threads suggested - I have actually been following them. Makes for interesting reading.

I was only thinking of putting down a small refundable deposit just in case the prices sky rocket.

Do you have any other resort suggestions please.

Kindest regards

Zoe

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,944 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
3. Re: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

If you can go during the second half of September and you don't need adults only look at resorts on the east coast - Lux Belle Mare, Constance Belle Mare Plage, Constance Prince Maurice, Long Beach and One & Only Le Saint Geran are all good 5* resorts.

North west The Oberoi Beach Resort, Maritim, Beachcomber Trou aux Biches and the adult wing of Beachcomber Le Victoria and are good resorts.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g293816-Mauritius-Hotels.html

If you want adults only this list may help but I haven't updated it for a while:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k8664856-o50-Adult_only_hotels-Mauritius.html

September is a transitional month from winter to summer and mid September is a good time to visit IME.

https://www.world-weather-travellers-guide.com/weather-in-mauritius.html#September

Hook, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
4. Re: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

Thank you very much Bronia,

I will take a look at your recommendations.

What’s your thoughts on Mauritius being open for UK tourism? Do you think it’ll happen this year?

Kindest regards Zoe

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,944 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
5. Re: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

Zoe I sincerely hope it will be open for tourism in September, but that depends very much on if they meet their self-imposed vaccination targets of 60/70% by July/August.

At the moment they still appear to be relying on vaccine donations from other countries with erratic supply.

I think they are actually in a worse position than they were in 2020, as they now have quite a few locally transmitted cases rather than imported cases like they had last year.

There is also the variant question and their inablity to test for it, having to send samples to Southern Africa or the UK.

They really need to get a move on with vaccinations and it seems they are way behind target sadly.

Given the serious financial problems they find themselves in they may allow fully vaccinated tourists into the country by the last quarter of 2021 or even earlier but they won't commit themselves.

They seem to have been going round in circles for the past year and unable to make decisions.

Let's hope the new committee will come up with something soon Zoe!

Hook, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

Good evening Bronia,

Thank you for such a comprehensive reply.

I too sincerely hope that they get things sorted quick smart for all involved.

Enjoy the long weekend.

Here’s to hopefully future happy holidays

Kindest regards

Zoe

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

That's helpful for me also Bronia, thanks. We are in the UK, and I'm watching the situation unfold also, as we booked our Mauritius trip over 2 yrs ago, then rebooked for very end Sept this year.

We have been fully vaccinated too.

Fingers crossed we don't need to rebook again.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,944 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
8. Re: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Save

Hun fingers and toes crossed for us all! 😎

Reply to: Advise - Maldives/Mauritius (September 2021)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mauritius
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.