We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2022 Roadtrip

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
2022 Roadtrip
Save

Hi, I am in the early stages of planning a months road trip potentially October 2022, I want to see as much of the island as possible and making it an adventure. Im going to hire a car to get around in between resorts etc. Any advise and tips would be greatly appreciated. I asked the same of a forum when i went to Thailand 4 years ago and had the most amazing experience with the travellers tips i got. Thanks in Advance

3 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
27,716 posts
3,111 reviews
2,720 helpful votes
1. Re: 2022 Roadtrip
Save

The good news is that in Mauritius they drive in the same side of the road as the UK.

Good hire car deals are available more from locally based companies than the big rental firms.

Get a good roadmap of Mauritius which is useful to have. I have found road signage could be better and I know even locals can get lost easily.

In recent years some motorways have been built to link up various parts of the island. It is not the M6 but they have saved time. It has also been matched by an increase in speed cameras as well.

There are still a lot of small roads to navigate and some towns such as Port Louis can have heavy built up of traffic in peak times.

Driving standards could be better from the locals. To many times someone will pull up from the side road, or suddenly brake for no reason.

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
7,440 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
2. Re: 2022 Roadtrip
Save

FrannyB66, Mauritius is actually small enough to explore from one spot so doing a road trip isn't something that I've ever considered. You can pretty much drive from top to bottom in about 90 minutes or so. You could, of course, drive all round the perimeter of the island and stop off at places along the way. You wouldn't need a month to do that, though. Also you need to give immigration the address of your accommodation on arrival at the airport so I should imagine that you would need to have pre booked your stop overs.

Mauritius is very different to Thailand in that most people book hotels or self catering accommodation in advance and then do day trips to explore the island.

I'm sure if anyone has more precise information they will post here when they see your questions.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
58,944 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
3. Re: 2022 Roadtrip
Save

Mauritius is not really for road trips.

Most people stay in one or two places as Mauritius is a small island, unlike Thailand which is a huge country.

The island covers an area of 1,865 square kilometers or 720 square miles, with 330 kilometers of coastline. Mauritius is 45km in width and 65km in length.

https://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/Mauritius-map.htm

Driving isn't the best and roads can be poor with traffic jams in the city and in towns and road closures because of the metro construction which is still ongoing.

Driving distances:

https://distancecalculator.globefeed.com/Mauritius_Distance_Calculator.asp

Reply to: 2022 Roadtrip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mauritius
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.