We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

State of vaccination

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
175 reviews
252 helpful votes
State of vaccination
Save

Hello,

What is the state of vaccination and COVID in Mauritius? We're scheduled to travel on the second week of October and wondering if the population will likely be vaccinated by then. Thanks!

88 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
58,946 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
1. Re: State of vaccination
Save

Spartac there haven't been any recent updates on the vacination programme except to reschedule postponed second vaccines affected by the recent flooding, but the general consensus is that they are way behind their aim of the 60/70% vaccination rate they stipulate for border reopening.

If you have patience then you can read through the lockdown thread as I did record progress as info was made available, but they now seem to be concentrating on the annual flu vaccination.

My post from April 7th 2021:

205,000 Mauritians have been vaccinated to date, representing 16% of the population. 110,000 people received their first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine, the second dose of which will be given from next Monday. The others vaccinated received a first dose of Covaxin.

60% of health workers have now been vaccinated.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k13275434-o2050-Mauritius_in_lockdown-Mauritius.html

Forbes includes Mauritius in its list of countries which has a 10% rate back in April, but I'm fairly certain that's an underestimate.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackbrewster/2021/04/26/91-countries-have-vaccinated-less-than-10-of-their-populations-as-wealthier-nations-face-calls-to-help/?sh=6b319452cea3

We just rescheduled our flights for October and this will be our fourth change since June 2020.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,946 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
2. Re: State of vaccination
Save

To date, 10/05/2021:

213,000 people have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine. Of these, approximately 100,240 have already had their second dose administered.

38,400 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine under the COVAX Facility arrived last night on an Air Mauritius flight from Paris.

500,000 doses of Sinopharm vaccine are expected in Mauritius in coming weeks.

The government's goal is to vaccinate 750,000 Mauritians within a few months.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
175 reviews
252 helpful votes
3. Re: State of vaccination
Save

Thank you for the update!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,946 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
4. Re: State of vaccination
Save

You're welcome spartac!

Any new developments we will post here. 😊

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,946 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
5. Re: State of vaccination
Save

Dr Joomaye, chairman of the National Vaccination Committee and member of the High Level Committee argued that by the end of July, at least 700,000 people will have been vaccinated a Since January 26, 216,926 people have received their first dose of vaccine and 100,763, their second dose to date.

This will make it possible to achieve collective immunity by July which is one of the ccriteria for borders reopening.

https://defimedia.info/au-coeur-de-linfo-dr-joomaye-confiant-datteindre-limmunite-collective-fin-juillet

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,946 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
6. Re: State of vaccination
Save

Pravind Jugnauth, PM, announced on national television last night, May 17, that 500,000 doses of Chinese Sinopharm vaccine will arrive in the country very soon and the vaccination program will begin immediately after.

I assume this is the same 500,000 I mentioned in my post #10 earlier.

https://ionnews.mu/500-000-doses-de-vaccin-anti-covid-19-attendues-cette-semaine/?fbclid=IwAR06YUXil-1G1OuAbYAwGpUh4AKBFwU6Uh5YwbVBwbvC_qIx7r9y_U0NMiE

Level Contributor
364 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: State of vaccination
Save

It probably is the same 500.000 Bronia, it would be good if it was an extra batch.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,946 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
8. Re: State of vaccination
Save

I think maybe the same batch Denise as in my post#2 (not 10 sorry!)

The last vaccines to have the carpet treatment with the welcoming committee was the Covax AZ donation on the 10th May from Paris.

No news what happened to the Russian vaccine negotiations so assume they stalled.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,946 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
9. Re: State of vaccination
Save

Interesting news about the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.

A deal to supply 400 million doses of Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines to African countries hangs in the balance as most countries are reluctant to make upfront deposits and borrow money to get the supplies

So far, only five countries have completed the process required towards accessing funds through African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank) to pay for the doses they are getting through an arrangement involving key parties including J&J and Africa CDC.

Benedict Oramah, Afreximbank president , said only Botswana, Cameroon, Tunisia, Togo, and Mauritius have completed orders and submitted a 15% deposit as a down-payment for the vaccine supplies.

https://healthpolicy-watch.news/86305-2/?fbclid=IwAR3-5PH7yQm04ESYe3PM8XA38Z9NH8PLuSe7ajgEymNFxZfxps8YbOSBMK8

https://africacdc.org/covid-19-vaccination/

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
58,946 posts
155 reviews
1,038 helpful votes
10. Re: State of vaccination
Save

An Air Mauritius plane took off from Beijing shortly after noon with 500,000 doses of the Chinese Sinopharm vaccine.

Maurice's ambassador to China, Alain Wong, was received by the director of Sinopharm and negotiated the purchase of an additional 500,000 doses of the Chinese vaccine.

https://www.lexpress.mu/article/393795/covid-19-maurice-obtient-500-000-doses-vaccin-sinopharm

Reply to: State of vaccination
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mauritius
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.