We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places and Plans

Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Places and Plans
Save

Hi all,

What do you think this plan looks like? It will be in August, I wanted to stick to the western beaches because it's less windy, but I definitely don't want to miss out Ile Aux Cerfs so the eastern side is included for the first two days too.

Is the plan doable?

Did I miss out any must see spot?

I plan to stay on the more western side of Le Morne Beach, what do you think? Will it be less windy?

Is Tamarin really beautiful, or can it be left out?

August 18 Afternoon/Arrival - Blue Bay

August 19 Ile Aux Cerfs

August 20 Le Morne (Climb + Beach)

August 21 Le Morne (Waterfall, Seven Colored Earth)

August 22 Tamarin

August 23 Flic and Flac

August 24 Trou-aux-Biches

August 25 Flight Back

Thanks!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
1. Re: Places and Plans
Save

Le Morne peninsula is very windy in August so I'd rather opt for a different location to stay further north on the west coast around Flic en Flic or in the north around Grand Baie. I'm actually confused about where you are staying as in your other post you ask about getting from Blue Bay to Ile aux Cerf.

To me your itinerary is too busy. You should spend at least a couple of days relaxing at your hotel and enjoying the facilities on offer there.

Are you planning to visit Blue Bay straight from the airport on arrival? What do you intend doing there? It has a marine reserve which is good for snorkeling but I don't think you should plan to do that after flying in. On the 21st I think you mean Chamarel waterfall which is close to the Coloured Earths.

Tamarin is a small village with very little of interest to tourists. You can stop for 10 minutes on the way to Flic en Flac for a look around.

Edited: 3 years ago
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Places and Plans
Save

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The only reason for me to stay in Blue Bay is to head to Ile Aux Cerfs, actually.

As you guessed, I'm intending to head there directly from the airport at noon. Rest for the day, stay one night, visit Ile Aux Cerfs the next day and head west.

Do you think Blue Bay is a good base for Ile Aux Cerfs?

Thanks!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
64 reviews
94 helpful votes
3. Re: Places and Plans
Save

It's really not necessary to split your stay as Mauritius is small enough to explore from one base. Nothing is more than about a 90 minute drive from one place to the furthest point. To me it's a waste of time checking into and out of a hotel for one night then checking into another hotel plus you'll have to take your luggage with you while site seeing. Rather have a central base on the west or north coast and do everything from there.

Edenvale, South...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
30 reviews
54 helpful votes
4. Re: Places and Plans
Save

Blue Bay is not that close to Ile aux Cerf and Ile aux Cerf is rather overrated too. In August they may cancel water activities there due to the wind and rougher seas on the east coast.

Tamarin and Flic en Flac are definitely not worth full day visits as they are both small towns.

The rest of your itinerary is very busy as Dee says and you have no time to just relax.

Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Places and Plans
Save

Thanks!

So, is Ile aux Cerfs not even worth a try? I'd still would want to try; and if; from where?

If you would choose only one base in August, what would that be?

Edenvale, South...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
30 reviews
54 helpful votes
6. Re: Places and Plans
Save

I would base myself west, north west or north in winter. You can book a trip to Ile aux Cerf the day before, so maybe wait until you are in Mauritius and see what the weather forecasts for the time you are there say

7. Re: Places and Plans

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: April 26, 2019, 12:21 pm
Get answers to your questions about Mauritius
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.