We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chefchaouen stopover - yes or no

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
Chefchaouen stopover - yes or no
Save

Hi, it's me again)

I have couple of questions left for my trip:

I am arriving to Tangier at 26/12 16.00 by plane, and after that I could try to get to Fez (where I need to be by the end of 27th) by train (if I make it in time) or by bus (arriving in the night).

OR I could try to get to Chefchaouen same day and then after spending the night leave for Fez.

Questions are:

- Is it feasible?

- Is it worth it?

I found previous threads about this trip, but I am still not sure: What is the latest transport to Chefchaouen from Tangier? Apparently there is a bus around 17.30, but I probably won't make it in time for it from airport. There are also grand taxis - but I am not sure when the last ones will leave, approximately? I can't afford to pay for entire taxi so it'd have to be shared.

Then next day there is 18.00 bus from Chef. to Fez, apparently, so I should be in Fez after dark.

If I just go to Fez right away, there is train (which I might not make in time) option and bus option (arrival late in the night). Will I be able to get a bus ticket upon arrival?

I'll arrive at train station/bus station after dark, will there be taxis?

I have all hotel bookings ready. Don't want to end up stranded in Tangier with no way to get where I need to be.

penna
Destination Expert
for Marrakech
Level Contributor
15,225 posts
45 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: Chefchaouen stopover - yes or no
Save

Sounds like a whole lot of work to see a picturesque little tourist filled town with some partially blue painted walls that has a great publicist.

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
135 reviews
128 helpful votes
2. Re: Chefchaouen stopover - yes or no
Save

its doable since you have 1 night to play with, but could be easier just to go straight to Fes

In theory shared taxis are available all the time BUT they will only go when all seats are full so you may have a long wait or you can pay for extra seats for more comfort and to leave faster - you could also go via Tetouan to Chefchaouen, probably there will be a bus you can get for that leg of the journey at least

Morocco
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
18 reviews
44 helpful votes
3. Re: Chefchaouen stopover - yes or no
Save

First, no direct train from Tangier to Fez, you must change your train in Sidi Kacem.

My suggestion is while you are in Tangier, go to grand taxi station and ask for Chefchaouen. If you can't find you can take a shared grand taxi to Tetouan and another taxi from Tetouen to Chefchaouen. Chefchaouen is one of the best travel destinations in Morocco (Once in Lisbon, in a hostel, when i gave my passport to the gut in reception he asks about the "Blue town" not Marrakech or Fez. I think you should visit it)

Fez to Chefchaouen: whats the problem if you arrive in Fez in dark? you can take a petit taxi to your hotel (hope its not inside medina). Or after your lunch in Chefchaouen, you can go to grand taxi staion and ask for Fez or Meknes.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
110 posts
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Chefchaouen stopover - yes or no
Save

Thank you, guys!

I don't know if it's worth it either. It looks like the town inspires some divided impressions!

The mountains look very pretty though, and it's close to Tangiers. OTOH, If I do it, I'll have only like 5-6 hours in Chefch. Not sure if it's enough to see anything. OR I can have extra day in Fes (I will have two full days in Fes after that, not sure if I need 3d?)

Anyway, it seems like getting from Tangier to Fes isn't that easy either with my late arrival, so I don't have perfect option.

Duly noted about Tetouan stopover. So bus to Tetouan + grand taxi to Chefch.? Will there be any as the hour will be probably late? (I understand about waiting for them to fill up.)

I have another question: I am going back from Merzouga to Meknes on 01/01, it seems like there is Supratour bus Merzouga - Meknes which starts off at 19 (7 pm) and arrives at 4 a.m. in the night. Do I need hotel for this night? What do people usually do in this case? Maybe instead of Supratour bus I can use local buses though Rissani etc and arrive to Meknes earlier for full night sleep?

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,143 posts
135 reviews
128 helpful votes
5. Re: Chefchaouen stopover - yes or no
Save

plenty to see in Fes so you wont be bored if you choose to skip Chefchaouen

if you arrive at 4am then either you wait around at the bus station cafe for several hours or pay for the hotel - taking local buses and shared taxis is a good option to do that journey in the day

6. Re: Chefchaouen stopover - yes or no

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: October 31, 2019, 12:40 pm
Get answers to your questions about Morocco
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.