We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
15 helpful votes
Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset
Save

Hello. I am planning to visit in mid-January for 6 days, with my partner and my 80-year-old stepmother. I would like to plan a day exploring the upcountry region, visit Haleakala for sunset and a little stargazing, and hopefully get a late dinner on the way back to our Airbnb near Honokowai Beach Park. I would like some help with route/itinerary. My stepmother is pretty healthy and active, as are we (though definitely have slowed down a bit.) I know we would like to visit the lavender farm. Mahalo

6 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset
Save

There is so much to see Upcountry. Not just the lavender farm, but the Kula Botanical Gardens too. And there is the Surfing Goat Dairy farm, the winery, Ocean Vodka tour, the tour at O'o Farms.

But before you plan too much, make yourselves familiar with the signs for altitude sickness. It can hit any one, any age. So take your time going up there. Stop lots on the way up, to get used to the altitude change. And be prepared to turn around and head back down, if anyone starts feeling sick.

Make sure you take the beach chairs from the condo up there too. It makes the stargazing so much better for the neck!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
25 reviews
100 helpful votes
2. Re: Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset
Save

Good advice from Joan - also take warm clothes, the temp will drop way down once the sun goes down.

Do not do too much Upcountry before you head up the mountain, you do not want to run out of steam. You can always go back to Upcountry another day for whatever you missed, it is a short ride from Honokowai

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
5 posts
41 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset
Save

Thanks so much to you both for that great advice! I have been up for sunset/stargazing once before, with a tour that brought warm clothes for us. DEfinitely would need to make sure we bring some this time! The beach chairs are a great idea.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
8,582 posts
381 reviews
258 helpful votes
4. Re: Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset
Save

I thought sunset was awesome.

We have done sunrise a few times.

Loved the beauty of sunset.

Oregon City, Oregon
Level Contributor
65 posts
5. Re: Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset
Save

We went upcountry last week. We wanted to take Baldwin avenue so we cut through Paia and headed up that way, which makes for a very interesting drive. Lots of beautiful churches line the road. We stopped in Makawao and got some donuts on a stick from Komodo bakery, then walked around and checked out the shops. After that, we headed over to Kula Lodge for lunch and amazing views. Next to the lodge is Kula Marketplace, which is hands-down the best shop I've been to on island in my life. They have a plethora of local artisan offerings (and an entire Christmas section which is awesome). Then we decided to drive up to Haleakala. We didn't make it all the way up (I'd like to blame it on our three young boys but us parents were sweaty-palmed the entire time). I'm absolutely terrified of heights so I had a bit of a hard time. I was literally taking pictures with my eyes closed. Ha! On the drive back down, there are places to buy proteas and tropical fruits. Then we stopped at Kula Country Farms which is a lovely little oasis with tons of produce and crafts. You can't go wrong with whatever you decide to do upcountry. Have fun and make it to the top of Haleakala for me!

Edited: September 18, 2021, 1:34 am
S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
13,228 posts
20 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset
Save

Take a picnic and eat while enjoying sunset. Don't plan to be on the summit for more that a couple of hours. My DH and I use to go up all the time for sunset and time with our telescope. Oxygen levels at 10,000 ft is thin and after several hours it starts to affect older folks more. After 28 years of time on Haleakala we started noticing a big decline after my husband turned 75 and he was in very good shape. Keep your stepmom hydrated.

Reply to: Itinerary for upcountry day & Haleakala sunset
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.