We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique/different things to do on Maui

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
31 reviews
71 helpful votes
Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

4 of us will be visiting Maui next Feb/Mar (Covid permitting) and would like to find something unique to do. We have been to Maui many times and love it...it's like our home away from home. But this trip is a special one and we are trying to figure out things we haven't done yet! We are two couples in our 50's, but are young at heart so we're up for almost anything. We have done the road to Hana a few times and think we'll skip that this time. We've done a few different luaus, we've done lots of snorkeling (and will do lots this time as well), we've seen the Plantation with the train, we've seen the Aquarium and I think most 'touristy' stuff. Is there anything that is not well known or 'off the beaten path' type activities that we should look into for this trip? And of course, I realize that everything is still up in the air and no one knows for sure what will be open next year or even if we will be able to come, but I'm just trying to get some ideas to make this trip a special one. Thanks!

47 replies to this topic
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
21 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

One of our favorite things to do is shore fishing with 808 Fishing Tales. Its a really fun activity! They domall of the hard work, supply the equipment and bait and you catch the fish.

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,832 posts
2. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

Have you gone Upcountry or to the Mountain? And have you snorkeled all over West and South Maui? Just what kind of unique thing are you looking for?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
3. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

Have you been to Maui during whale season before? Feb/March is an ideal time for whale watching! I'd be taking as many whale watches as I could afford. It's just different to go whale watching there, than it is in Victoria.

What about renting kayaks? They can be fun for a couple of hours. Surf Shack, in the Mana Kai complex, in south Kihei, rents kayaks and SUPS right on Keawakapu Beach.

No telling if they will be up operating by then, but check out the canoe club in north Kihei too.

https://www.kiheicanoeclub.com/

Looks like they are operating now, according to their website.

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
69,509 posts
396 reviews
719 helpful votes
4. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

Go hiking Haleakalā and spend the night in one of their cabins, inside the crater.

https://www.nps.gov/hale/planyourvisit/wilderness-cabins.htm

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
9 reviews
7 helpful votes
5. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

If the Fish Pond reopens that was a fun, informative and unique thing to do.

https://mauifishpond.com/canoe-tour/

Edited: September 12, 2021, 7:13 pm
Indiana
Level Contributor
437 posts
128 reviews
19 helpful votes
6. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

Kihei Canoe Club is a good recommendation. We did it a few years back. Neat to go out with them in the open water. I think they still open it up on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Martinez, California
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

hey hey

take a ride to haiku and visit leilanisfarmsanctuary.com

hang loose

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
845 posts
34 reviews
27 helpful votes
8. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

I second Maui/Kihei Canoe Club. You are expected to follow the members directions on how to enter & exit canoe, how to as a team launch through the on coming shore break, & then enjoy a couple of hours of paddling along the Malaalea Bay. The 'club' members will go over all this prior to launch, then each outrigger canoe will have a few members come along with you. I think it was $20.00 per person back in 2018, & drops in price each additional day you go out...beautiful on a nice day, as mentioned only Tuesday & Thursday mornings...Also the ferry to 'Lanai' is quite a experience, sometimes lot's of whales & dolphins to see on trip...have fun...ogo

Minnesota
Level Contributor
107 posts
9. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

Have you visited the lavender farm in Upcountry? or Surfing Goat Dairy in Kula? or MauiWine the winery up in Kula? or Iao Valley?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
31 reviews
71 helpful votes
10. Re: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Save

Thank you everyone for the great responses!! Here I was thinking I was an experienced Maui visitor, but I have not done a lot of the things you all mentioned!! We usually go during whale season (only one trip was not) so we absolutely love anything to do with whales. I was going to ask about up country because that is one place we have not really explored. I think we definitely want to see the lavender farm and the winery...I've heard it doesn't have the best wine in the world, but I can usually buy that at the store...I think a different type of wine would be interesting to taste! I will make sure to put all your suggestions on my list of things to do! :)

Reply to: Unique/different things to do on Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.