We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui

Denver
Level Contributor
164 posts
217 reviews
82 helpful votes
Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

Thought I'd post an off the wall question: What it the best mai tai pre-mix available on Maui and where can I find it?

Why, if bars, etc are crowed, looking for a "lazy" person's way to enjoy a mai tai on the lanai.

Cheers.

23 replies to this topic
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
69,904 posts
23 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

I don't care for the premix cocktails (too sweet). I'd grab cans of POG or other fresh juice or nectars (pineapple, guava, watermelon) and sparkling water when I'm making my own in the roomm. As long as your hotel has an ice machine or you have a freezer and ice cube tray :) and buy some local rum or vodka... there you go :-) aloha and cheers!

Denver
Level Contributor
164 posts
217 reviews
82 helpful votes
2. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

Cheers back to you, and thanks for the tips. May have to visit local stores and start practicing!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

Agree with using POG - I prefer the cartons of Meadow Gold POG. Recommend that, gold rum, and a dark rum floater. YUM!!!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
69,904 posts
23 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

There are different versions of what is the "original" mai tai recipe. You can look them up online to see what sounds good to you. For making them in the room I'm happy with pineapple juice (the Dole version in the cold case is good) and a decent dark rum over ice :)

Moreno Valley...
Level Contributor
78 posts
286 reviews
119 helpful votes
5. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

Before our last trip, I went to BevMo and got Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix, put in in a plastic bottle and in a baggie and took it with and then bought the rum in Maui. It makes a pretty good drink especially if you add a little lime juice. It's different today, but originally the Mai Tai never contained Pineapple Juice. Although I have to admit, a good POG with dark rum has often been a go to.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
6. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

I always bought the mai tai bottle, ready to drink, at Costco. Just add ice, and a slice of lime. And yes, it was sweet! But I always enjoyed the POG and rum too.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

I would start with the recipe here https://www.mauimagazine.net/monkeypod-mai-tai/ - not sure you can find mac nut orgeat easily (on the Big Island you may be able to find Hamakua Coast Premium's version in some stores), but you can get a regular orgeat at Tamura's. Up to you if you want to put in the effort for the foam.

Cotati
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

Make the foam and skip the rest. Just a big bowl of the foam. Oh yeah!

Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,832 posts
9. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

Here's the original Mai Tai recipe. If you don't have all da ingredients, just pour some dark rum over ice and repeat! After the first two, they will be the best ones you've ever made. :)

https://www.royal-hawaiian.com/dining-overview/original-mai-tai-recipe/

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,867 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
10. Re: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Save

Cherry vanilla puree? I have no idea where to get that, or what it is! And no, I am not bothering with a google search! I have my husband to make me an amazing mai tai already! And yes, it is complicated. And it involves mint!

And also, I finally crossed off having a mai tai at Royal Hawaiian from my bucket list a few years ago. I actually wrote a review. The drink was just fine, even without the muddled mint.. But served in a plastic glass was NOT!

Reply to: Best mai tai pre-mix on Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.