We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Day Maui Itinerary

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

our family of 4 is coming to Maui in April 2022 for 4 days, then Kauai for 3 days. so far this is our plans. Let me know if anything better anyone would recommend!! FYI, my wife and i honeymooned in Maui in 2004 and loved it and did many of the activities below, but obviously its been a while. We are staying near Kihei most likely, and WILL have a rental car.

Day 1 - arrive to Maui at 5pm

Day 2 - explore Northwest Maui and Kapalua, Old Lahaina Luau

Day 3 - Road to Hana, waterfalls, small hikes, etc

Day 4 - Haleakala Sunrise, then bike tour down to beach

Day 5 - Molokini or some sort of Snorkeling excursion, Pineapple Farm Tour

Day 6 - Fly to Kauai

thanks in advance!

12 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
31,673 posts
115 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

I would absolutely eliminate the bike tour from Haleakala. It's more of a "brake" down to the beach, and very dangerous. There are plenty of older posts about this activity, and it is just not a great idea, with or without a pandemic, and limited room at the hospital on Maui. The National Park has not allowed the bike tours to start in the park for years and years, due to so many accidents, including death.

I would still head up Haleakala though. It's a wonderful experience, regardless of the time of day. I've never done sunrise though, as I wouldn't want to get up so early, when on a holiday! And you will need to get that reservation booked too, closer to your trip.

And I would try to put a shorter day in between the Road to Hana day, and the drive up Haleakala. Otherwise, you have three days in a row of being in the car for longer periods of time.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8,762 posts
2. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

Skip the bike tour

You might look into a west Maui snorkel trip Teralani, Trilogy, Gemini, Hula Girl

Maui
Level Contributor
105,429 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

How strange--I swear I answered you last week........did you perhaps delete that thread?

Anyways, skip Molokini. I would also rec against the bike "tour". It's been banned by the Ntl. Park for going on 20 years for good reason. Here's a link to a thread about it which might help you:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k8779449-Want_to_Bike_Down_the_Volcano-Maui_Hawaii.html

I think you have waaaaay too much windshield time. If you do a snorkel trip on the West side, you will be driving over 2 days, plus the RTH, plus Haleakala. I would pick *either* Hana or Haleakala in such a short period.

Since you are going to Kauai, I would do Haleakala. It's much more unique that the RTH. I would go up early in the morning, and enjoy wandering around Upcountry after you are done in the Park.

Here's a thread with some ideas. I would add the distilleries perhaps, and lunch at Kula Bistro:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k6863103-By_request_SW_s_Upcountry_Wander-Maui_Hawaii.html

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

I would skip sunrise at Haleakala and switch it to a sunset at Haleakala (book it, it's equally as beautiful) and spend the whole day upcountry exploring all the great things to see and do and eat up there. As mentioned, don't do the road to Hana and Haleakala on back to back days, 1st timers to the island don't realize how incredibly long and tiring the day is doing the road to Hana (12 hour day) or just how long of a drive it is to get from West Maui up to the top of Haleakala (over 60 miles and over 2 hour drive of technical switchbacks and dodging cows in the dark at night)

Maui
Level Contributor
105,429 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

He's staying in Kihei--but the drive is still long.

Sunset is too crowded now.

Beverly Hills...
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

OP here. interesting how people are recommending against the bike ride down Haleakala! my wife and i actually did this in 2004 on our honeymoon and LOVED IT! we thought it was so much fun. so no one does this anymore? not as popular? shocked to hear that!

2 posts
7. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

Do you need to make any reservations or fees to do Haleakala sunset?

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
153 posts
5 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

You don’t need reservations for sunset but you’ll still need to pay the park entrance fees.

Level Contributor
185 posts
9. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

Plenty of people do the bike tour and love it. Locals don't like it because it snarls traffic, and then claim they don't like it because of the tourists getting injured.

California
Level Contributor
182 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Save

I believe I’ve been on this forum for 5 years and have always heard about how dangerous the bike tour is from the posters and everyone recommends against it. To the best of my recollection, during these 5 years, I haven’t heard of one death or accident and I have had multiple friends do the bike tour and loved it. Now, I’m not saying there haven’t been any accidents/deaths during this time, but I haven’t heard of any. During this same period of time, I have heard of many deaths/accidents happening in the ocean, but no one is saying not to go in. Just an observation.

Reply to: 4 Day Maui Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.