We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merrimans

San Diego...
Level Contributor
193 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
Merrimans
Save

I noticed that Merrimans is only showing a fixed menu on their website. Are they no longer offering a happy hour with drinks and appetizers on the outside patio?

12 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
101,775 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Merrimans
Save

Sadly, yes. At least for now, the Point is part of dinner service.

Not that dinner isn't great---I just miss the whole Point chill and relax vibe.

However, the food is so good I'd do it if that was my only option.

Edited: June 07, 2021, 11:34 am
San Diego...
Level Contributor
193 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Merrimans
Save

Bummer! We will be arriving on the 16th and it was on my itinerary to do apps at the Point one afternoon. Never been and was really looking forward to going. Can’t budget the dinner at this point. Oh well, guess Merrimans will stay on my bucket list until next time.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
23 reviews
31 helpful votes
3. Re: Merrimans
Save

Since January, Merriman’s has been serving appetizers and drinks on their grassy overlook from 4 to 7:30pm daily (weather dependent). Unless they’ve eliminated this seating in the last couple of weeks, your only option is not the Pre Fixe dinner menu. If you’re on Instagram, check out their page. It indicates that walk-ins are welcome for the grassy overlook. On May 19th, they brought back pork quesadillas to their appetizer menu. For accurate, up-to-date information, I suggest messaging them or calling the restaurant.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
23 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: Merrimans
Save

I just sent them a message. I’ll report back if I get an answer. (I’ll be there next week, and I’m also interested in knowing for sure.)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
193 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Merrimans
Save

Thanks Neverlander. That is good information. I checked out their IG and will call to get info on the happy hour on the grassy overlook. I will be there next week as well.

Maui
Level Contributor
101,775 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
6. Re: Merrimans
Save

The only problem with the grass is if they have special events-like weddings, family parties, etc. I didn't mention it because I didn't want people disappointed after going there.

If you decide to try for that, I strongly suggest calling ahead of time and finding out if there are any private events slated.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
23 reviews
31 helpful votes
7. Re: Merrimans
Save

Acemon, if you receive any info or happen to go there first, I sure would appreciate an update :-). I’ll do the same. (I arrive a couple of days after you.)

My friend advised me to show up at Merriman’s at least a half hour early and to grab a table right away. When I asked her if that bothered the staff, she revealed that the waitress did seem annoyed and made a comment about them not being ready for customers. My friend said all the tables filled before they even opened; those that stood in line had to wait for the tables to turn over. I have no intention of claiming a space before it’s time, but I’m curious if they’re handling customers better at opening time.

It would be great to hear from folks who have either ordered from the grassy overlook or from people who have actually been turned away due to a special event.

Maui
Level Contributor
101,775 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: Merrimans
Save

I have been turned away due to special events--including one in the last few months. It's why I suggested calling. I used to always call first (for the Point), but went on a whim with some friends. Oops!

Hope you both can post your updated experiences!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
23 reviews
31 helpful votes
9. Re: Merrimans
Save

Thanks SW! I’ve only been to Merriman’s a few times, and I do remember a wedding happening at least once. It would be a bummer to go out of your way to drive or walk a long distance and be turned away.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
193 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Merrimans
Save

Soooo I just called Merrimans and they said they recently moved from the grassy area to the front patio near the back and they are going to start trying out an appetizer menu. Same starting time 4:00.

Reply to: Merrimans
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.