We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Issues?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
Rental Car Issues?
Save

Hi there! Just curious if anyone has experienced showing up with a rental car reservation and then being told they have no cars left? Been reading about this happening- Thank you!

25 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
331 posts
97 reviews
201 helpful votes
1. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

I was also reading this and wondering.... I am renting from National and have a car reserved in a couple weeks...mid week arrival. I looked today and noticed they show sold out. Makes me very nervous that there won’t be a car when we get there...

West Bountiful, Utah
Level Contributor
935 posts
51 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

My guess is if you have booked with a Major you are fine. We were

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
29 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

Where have your been reading about this? This seems to be an issue people are worried about, but there's not much evidence of it actually happening lately. Lines seem to vary depending on the day and time people arrive. We are booked through Enterprise and I'm not really worried about getting a car, however I do know its possible that the category we reserved may not be available.

Maui
Level Contributor
101,775 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
4. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

It's been a long wait for some people on Maui--but I don't know of anyone NOT getting their reserved car from a major agency.

Also, things have settled down some. I wouldn't worry as long as you are booked with a major agency or Kihei Rent A Car.

Texas
Level Contributor
227 posts
97 reviews
37 helpful votes
5. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

Wasn’t an issue for us last week with Enterprise, booked through DHCR (even with an hour delay on our flight and waiting in the safe travels line for about 20 min).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
15 helpful votes
6. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

I had anxiety about the same thing bc i reserved early for very cheap with Enterprise and now they are sold out. I called the location and was assured by a nice customer svc rep that i would indeed have a car for the price i booked and not to worry. He also said Enterprise was getting a shipment of cars in June at the time of my reservation. You could call too.

Edited: April 28, 2021, 5:09 am
San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

Ok thank you so much for your responses! I feel better now

Riverside...
Level Contributor
211 posts
46 reviews
18 helpful votes
8. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

The issue I had was with AVOS. I was booked through Costco and when our flight got changed from a early afternoon arrival to an evening arrival, I called to let AVIS know. We booked, we reserved a 4 door her because that’s what I drive at home. After I called about our flight change, our reservation showed just a 2 door keep. I called Costco about the different keep and they called AVIS who said we were fine. When we picked up our car last night, the girl at the desk said when I had called AVIS. , it tech was a modification to my reservation and at that point they were sold out of 4 door Jeep’s and gave me the 2 door. I made my case that I was just giving them a courtesy heads up about our flight change and I was not modifying the reservation! I ended up with a 4 door, but it was a bare bones basic keep with some visual issues of wear and tear.. oh well lesson learned I gurss

Riverside...
Level Contributor
211 posts
46 reviews
18 helpful votes
9. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

Sorry for all the typos!! I was sitting out in the sun on the beach without my glasses, lol

antioch
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
44 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: Rental Car Issues?
Save

Funny just a couple minutes ago I was just reading a article that some tourists (Hawaii & Florida) are resorting to renting U-Hauls and renting cars from locals.

Renting a U-Haul is a option I'd never thought of, lots of room for your luggage!

Reply to: Rental Car Issues?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.