We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai

2 posts
No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

We are about to travel to Kauai, staying in a hotel in Poipu area, as well as Airbnb in Princeville - just wondering if there was any advice on getting around town if we are not able to rent a car.

We plan on taking Taxi, Lyft, Bus, or perhaps rent a bike but would love some advice around that since we have never been to Kauai without renting a car.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
101,422 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

So you don't have a car reserved already???

How do you plan to get from Poipu to Princeville?

When is your trip?

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
120 reviews
93 helpful votes
2. Re: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

Do not use the bus to get to your lodging or to transit between Poipu and Princeville. The busses here are small and you can't bring anything larger than a backpack on them. Try to line up a taxi for these days, even though it will cost you a pretty penny.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
80 posts
3. Re: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

If you haven’t already rented a car cancel your trip, do your research, and come back when you’re prepared. Or go to Oahu where it’s easy to navigate without a car.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
26,906 posts
45 reviews
20 helpful votes
4. Re: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

Lyft/Uber are practically non-existent here. Taxis are expensive. The bus really doesnʻt work well for visitors. Safe biking is limited. You need a car.

Aptos, California
Destination Expert
for California, Kauai, Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
77 reviews
68 helpful votes
5. Re: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

If you can’t reserve a car somehow I’f wait until there are more rental cars on the island. It’s not easy to get around in the first place without a car. Add a 5 year old and splitting your trip brings more difficulties.

If you’re not willing to wait I’d pick one area and focus my trip there. Po’ipu is easier to enjoy without a car because more restaurants and beaches are in walking distance.

Here is a long trip report from a few years back and they didn’t rent a car for the entire time but did rent one a couple days at the Sheraton in Po’ipu. Maybe call the Sheraton directly and see if can book something. It was a very detailed report. They also took the local bus a few times. Not with luggage though. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k12125719-Castaway_marooned_in_Poipu_trip_report_part_1-Kauai_Hawaii.html

There is also the Aloha Free Shuttle in Po’ipu or there was. I don’t see and recent reviews. If that is still running it’s great for getting around Po’ipu. It free but tip of course. Again I don’t know if they are still in business.

2 posts
6. Re: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

Thank you so much!

7. Re: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

From what I'm reading, it sounds like you are not the only folks facing this problem. You say you are staying at a hotel in Poipu. I wonder if the concierge at the hotel would be willing to set up a car pooling kind of signup sheet where guests who have cars could see if there are others who would like to share some space in their car for an hour? a day or two? Maybe you could buy lunch? Maybe your 5 yr. old could make friends with their 5 yr. old? Relying on the kindness of strangers is rare these days, but maybe it's not non-existent ...

Aptos, California
Destination Expert
for California, Kauai, Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
77 reviews
68 helpful votes
8. Re: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Save

Chris G. in the review I posted click on CheapKahuna’s name to read the rest of his reviews and more info about going carless if you don’t find one. He’s an entertaining writer and wrote quite a bit.

Edited: May 18, 2021, 7:52 am
Reply to: No car with 5 yrs old in Kauai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.