We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

After reading about, Reef Etiquette, from the post “the secrets of good snorkeling in Hawaii, and ReefTeach,” I contacted the Program Services Coordinator at the Kohala Center (www.kohalacenter.org) about sunscreens. She replied that reef scientists are still looking at the effect of sunscreen on corals. Any kind of added chemical in the water could prove a threat to reef organisms. One school of thought is that sunscreen can form slicks on the surface of the water and prevent sunlight from reaching the coral - this could be harmful as corals needs sunlight in order to obtain energy from the symbiotic algae that lives in its tissue.

She said that there are a number of organic, chemical free sunscreens you can buy. Some of the health food stores on the island have cosmetic brands that are organic or better for the environment than your standard sunscreens. The health food store in Waimea for example has the following brands: Alba, Jason, Natures Way, Aubrey.

Here is a link to Aubrey Organics sunscreen online: aubrey-organics.com/spec_prods/sun_care_0506…

Here is a link to Jason sunscreen products: www.jason-natural.com/products/sunbrellas.php

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kohala Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations
Kohala Suites by Hilton...
1,180 Reviews
Island of Hawaii, HI
Waimea
Waimea
Island of Hawaii, HI
North Attleboro...
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

Another great sunscreen that is eco-friendly is made by the Badger company. I used it in the Caribbean at 12 degrees north last summer whenever I went swimming or snorkeling. The base is organic olive oil and zinc oxide. It worked really well.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

I agree Badger is one of the best/safest, although it has the negative of having a visable white layer on your skin. Here is a link to its website:

badgerbalm.com/p-372-spf-30-for-face-body.as…

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

Long sleeve 100 percent cotton shirts, combined with wetsuit pants = suncreen. :-)

Near Seattle
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

www.divegoddess.com for men and women makes swimsuits that cover from wrist to neck to ankle in cool fabrics. I always wear one when snorkeling so the only sunscreen I need is on my face.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,059 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

White cotton shirts have an SPF rating of about 7 and it drops to 3 when wet. Certain synthetics not specifically designed for sun protection run about SPF 20. The darker the material the higher the rating.

Here are some links to some chem free sunscreens.

www.barnaclekove.com/barnaclekove/mexitan.htm

itssimplynatural.com/ecolani-chemical-free-s…

www.refreshinglyfree.com/s.nl/it.A/id.627/.f…

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

Hi Sixtogo,

We found Jason organic, chemical free sunscreens at our local Walmart for about $8. We got the kind with the highest SPF intended for children and combined that with board shorts and long sleeve rash guards (found at REI) when snorkeling on the Big Island. The only place I got sunburned was my scalp, so I would suggest either applying sunscreen to your part or wearing some kind of cap/bandana while snorkeling. Hope you have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

Thanks for all of the great info!

8. Re: Organic, Chemical Free Sunscreens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: September 24, 2009, 12:18 am