We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current restrictions in DC

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Current restrictions in DC
Save

Hello. I'm looking for advice on the wisdom of visiting DC next week. My husband and I live in Michigan and want to fly to Washington DC. We look forward to being there during Cherry Blossom time, but recently I've found many of the places we'd like to visit are closed - the Zoo, National Gallery, History Museum, the US Army Museum, and even the tidal basin. Can anyone advise on the difficulty of dining in restricted restaurants? Or restrictions around the National Mall and government buildings? I've been getting discouraged with what I've found online and hope some insiders can clarify for me. We've both been fully vaccinated. Thanks very much for any help!

17 replies to this topic
Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

Places that have survived are still limited to outdoor/ take out.

Murums/zoo are still closed

They are not allowing people to the tidal basin where the cherry blossoms are

DC has no airports. Thry are in Maryland or Virginia so in theory you could sneak into DC...but why?

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

I’m fully vaccinated...doesn’t change anything.

DC is a separated city.

You have the mall and fed buildings. No restaurants here, fed buildings have cafeterias

Downtown area are all office building with little in residential areas. Restaurants here that grnerally only do breakfast and lunch are mainly closed.

Residential areas have a little better luck with restaurant survival where residents still go to them near their home.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington, Washington DC
Level Contributor
17,746 posts
135 reviews
290 helpful votes
3. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

TBH, with almost all of the indoor attractions closed, I don’t know that I would spend the money and time to come to DC right now. (There are a few museums like the Spy Museum and the Museum of the Bible that are open.) I don’t think it would be worth it to just walk around a few of the outdoor monuments and eat at some of the restaurants.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

DC has so much to offer, but not right now.  I'd skip it this year unless you want to come at a later time.

Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

Thanks very much to all of you. This has helped put the nail in the coffin of our plans. We have canceled the trip and will visit DC next year instead.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

Next year should be much better. Take a look at the newly developed Wharf area as a convenient place to stay, eat and enjoy the waterfront.

https://www.wharfdc.com/

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

Is it for sure they are blocking the tidal basin during cherry blossom time?

DC
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

No and, FYI, restaurants are open for indoor dining, but the Smithsonian is behaving disgracefully by keeping everything closed, especially the Zoo, which is largely an outdoor activity.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
1,841 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

Cherry blossom viewing doesn't look good:

https://cherryblossomwatch.com/best-time-visit-see-cherry-blossoms/

Restaurants are only open at 25% for indoor capacity, some are not doing indoor dining at all, and reservations are recommended,

It is disgraceful that some organizations realize this pandemic is not over, isn't it?

DC
Level Contributor
2,817 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Current restrictions in DC
Save

It's disgraceful that the management of the Smithsonian denies parents who have been locked up at home with their kids for a year opportunities for enrichment activities that involve little or no risk. Better to stay home and get paid and feed the population stories forwhy this is the right thing. Some folks believe the stories.

Reply to: Current restrictions in DC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.