We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from IAD to Virginia Beach?

1 post
Save Topic
How to get from IAD to Virginia Beach?

Hi,

I am coming to USA, at the Dulles Airport and I have no idea how to get to Virginia Beach.. I have found a train from Alexandria but I do not know how to get there too :D Can somebody help me?

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
4 replies to this topic
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from IAD to Virginia Beach?

The airport is over 200 miles from Virginia Beach. I'd honestly look into a flight from Dulles to Norfolk if you're unable or unwilling to rent a car and just drive.

It is technically possible to take amtrak from DC or Alexandria but good luck meeting that timetable depending on when your flight lands.

Mentioned in this post
Norfolk
Norfolk
Virginia
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from IAD to Virginia Beach?

The easiest way would be to take a taxi to Alexandria. The other option is to take a bus to Metrorail and take Metrorail Silver Line to the Blue Line to King Street - Old Town station

www.wmata.com

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from IAD to Virginia Beach?

This is not close. The best way this is at all feasible is if you rent a car and drive. The train runs 2-3 times per day from DC union station with the last at 5 on some days and 2 on others. There is a bus component of most train rides. That means if your flight is not in early morning or at least landing before 12 noon, you could lose a full day of your vacation trying to coordinate with the train and may have to spend a night in DC to catch it. The ride is also 6 hours so event in the best conditions you spend a day getting there and at worst 2 days

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from IAD to Virginia Beach?

But you can drive there in four hours. If it's the middle of the day, the traffic won't be so bad. But it is 200 miles. And it's all highway, so it's hard to get lost. There are no tolls, but avoid any left lane lane entrances that require what's called an EZ-Pass; the other lanes on the roads will be free. If for some reason you do take the train, it deadends 20 miles from the ocean, and bus gets you the rest of the way.

There may also be long-distance buses from Washington, DC; look up Greyhound Bus Company. And you would take public transport to Union Station to get that bus.

Driving is a lot easier,if you can do it (not everyone likes to drive in a foreign country, but the US is a lot like Western Europe for driving), And you can use the same car to go back to Dulles, and to drive around that area of Virginia, which has some interesting places besides the beach. Of course it may be too expensive for you.

Just a question... Why did you pick VA Beach as a place to go? Not too many people from other countries even know that great beach area exists.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Union Station
Union Station
2,016 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Reply to: How to get from IAD to Virginia Beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted