We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
571 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

We are so excited. We leave this week.

We have White House tour, Capital Tour, and I'm wondering if shorts, tshirts, and sneakers are okay for all these tours.

It's very cool here now, so I"m trying to envision hot and sticky in DC....and rainy too?

Any tips on staying dry and cool in DC, while dressing appropriately, are appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,935 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
15 replies to this topic
Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

Why don't you look at the DC weather forecast to see what the weather is going to be like? Today it's cool and rainy.

People are used to tourists dressing like that, so it's no surprise. I can understand the sneakers for a lot of walking, but shorts? I wouldn't ever wear shorts in any city but a resort city. I think it's highly inappropriate for the Capital and WH tours, but in museums or just walking around on the Mall, no one cares. I don't think they kick you out for dressing like that, but I'm not sure. If you are in a public tour of the WH< you can get away with that, if you have a private tour, you cannot.

Mentioned in this post
The Capital Grille
The Capital Grille
1,840 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
571 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

Hi!

Well thanks for the feedback. I live in San Diego, I suspect we are quite a bit more casual, and shorts are quite common here....hey, maybe we are a resort town ;) However, we don't have humidity, which I was anticipating/dreading in DC.

Good tip on the weather forecasts. Yes, I have been looking at them. It looks like lots of showers during our trip.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

I wear the shorts all the time in/around DC but its my home city as well. Wear whatever you'd wear at home if you were going to be outside a lot and its likely to be hot and humid. If you're just touring the white house/capitol then I think it's fine but if you're meeting with your congress member then business casual might also be recommended.

Though I will say we keep the A/C running hard out here so you might get chilly in some buildings/museums if you're in/out of them all day.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

Shorts, t-shirts and sneakers are JUST FINE for everything in DC, including the White House tour, the U.S. Capitol tour and all the museums, monuments, etc. You will not be banned from any of the above in that attire. (Locals wear shorts, T-shirts and sneakers too.)

Expect afternoon thunderstorms and rain. It’s common in June, but we seem to be getting more than our fair share this year.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,935 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
U.S. Capitol
U.S. Capitol
5,553 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

Shorts are perfectly fine for most places. I wear shorts a lot and have never gotten a bad look. The one caution is that some days this week have lows in the 60s so make sure that you will be warm enough

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

No one will scold you or refuse you entry for wearing shorts, but honestly, we all cringe at seeing tourists in shorts and T-shirts. It is ugly. It shows no sense of, or respect for, the idea of a public space. But for your own comfort, it is most of all impracticable. You will chafe. You will stick to everything you sit on - Metro seats, bus seats, benches etc. For women, a skirt or sundress is a lot more comfortable. For men at least have knee-length shorts.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,353 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

We don’t “all cringe” at tourists wearing shorts. Some of us are happy to see visitors having a good time in DC no matter what they are wearing.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

I must be a boor because the idea of spending all day on the mall on an average June/July day while wearing pants instead of shorts sounds horrible to me.

I'll only be wearing pants at the capitals parade tomorrow because I'll go back to work in the afternoon.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,752 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

I’m not sure who “ we all” is. I don’t pay much attention to what other people are wearing.

I doubt anyone pays attention to what I’m wearing.

If they do..,I’m not paying any attention to them!

You’re fine with what you’ve chosen.

The AC can be cold indoors . Maybe bring a hoodie.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?

I know this sounds crazy,but in hot miserable weather I almost never wear shorts ... except at the beach , and never t-shirts..... usually some sort of loose light long pants and long sleeved light shirts... nothing that will cling to the skin when you are sweaty.... and that has the advantage of preventing sunburn. Think about light headwear, too. Plus, when you are going in and out of AC, you won’t freeze going inside.

Reply to: Packing for this Week: Shorts, Tshirts, Sneakers Okay?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC