We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent trip review.. White House, capital, restaurants

1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recent trip review.. White House, capital, restaurants

Just returned from 3 day trip with another mom and 2 girls (ages 8 & 9)

Thursday - arrived & capital tour at 1240 (through state rep) . Lots of walking, statues, people everywhere & couldn’t hear, House gallery passes waited 30 minutes definitely not worth it for us. Botanical garden was fantastic! Dinner at founding farmers- great food, small drinks very loud! Lincoln memorial at night we all loved.

Friday- breakfast at founders distillery was good— White House tour at 1:00– 1:15 wait through several security check points in HOT sun for a 15 minute walk through (interesting bit kids not impressed) dinner at old ebbits was great!

Saturday

Breakfast at teds bulliten was fantastic! Spy museum not worth the $ interesting at first then not so much- girls were not impressed- National history museum of natural history! 10 out of 10! Smithsonian “castle” mainly a visitor center nothing fantastic! Filomena for dinner 10 out 10!!! Georgetown was great!

- stayed at Kimpton George which was good but no pool and farther away from monuments! So with heat and 2 tired girls lots of ubering

Also what I never saw posted on any reviews or forums that I wish I knew- there are an outstanding number of displaced people all over the city- very few asked for money or said anything but was shocked with the # and sleeping ALL over the monuments, side walks etc...

Next trip: no booked tours and would stay in Georgetown or Arlington

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,929 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White House
White House
6,931 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Georgetown
Georgetown
2,566 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Kimpton George Hotel
Kimpton George Hotel
2,250 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
4 replies to this topic
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent trip review.. White House, capital, restaurants

Good to know! We're visiting DC by end of this month but we're staying in Arlington.

Our White House tour was denied due to volume of visitors...my 13 yr old is disappointed but The Capitol tour is on!

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
White House
White House
6,931 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent trip review.. White House, capital, restaurants

Displaced is one word, homeless another. If you are shocked here, try going to San Francisco.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent trip review.. White House, capital, restaurants

I have many friends who visit from Europe and other places in the US that are shocked by Number of people suffering from homelessness and permanence of homelessness in DC. What is different about DC than other cities in the US is that many people suffering from homelessness are in places frequented by tourists and close to tourist attractions (Georgetown, WhiteHouse etc). They also have permanent shelters which reflect that our population is more of an informal settlement/Hooverville situation than the transient people suffering from homelessness carrying only blankets and few possessions seen in other developed cities . The encampment in front of the State Department and Georgetown encampment are examples of this with many people living in semi permanent make shift shelters and tents with established structures and communities. These more resemble slums and informal settlements seem in developing countries than the sidewalk homelessness seem in most of the developed world. Though Philadelphia and many other cities have larger populations of people suffering from homelessness, you won’t find them outside of the liberty bell or in Old City. I think the OP comment is valid on this topic

Mentioned in this post
Georgetown
Georgetown
2,566 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,633 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent trip review.. White House, capital, restaurants

Brittany S,

You provided your family and guests with a very nice opportunity -- Certain that your children will have memories

Reply to: Recent trip review.. White House, capital, restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;