We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

We are driving up from East TN and are staying in an AirBNB (on Clay Place NE) in SE DC. We will utilize the Metro and the Circulator. We will be there from 6/13 - 6/19.

Question 1 - Coming in from SE DC we have an 8:15 White House Tour. What time should we leave the AirBNB?? We are closest to the Benning Road Station (from what I can tell on the map). Should we do Metro ONLY or do a Metro/Bus combo? Or the Circulator?

Question 2 - If we are eating lunch at We the Pizza (305 Pennslyvania) and we need to get to the Supreme Court by 12, can we walk and make it?

Question 3 - FBI Tour at 10:30 in the a.m. on Friday. What time again should we leave the Air BNB?

Question 4 - Same as above, except it is a 11:30 Capitol tour on Sat.

Question 5 - If we are over at the National Zoo and I have booked a 3 pm trolley tour thing at Arlington, what time would we need to head out to get to Arlington?

Question 6 - It appears that what we need to do (family of 4 w/ 2 teens) need to purchase a BASIC metro pass at at around $2 a person and just add cash to it when we need it? We plan on using the circulator when getting around the National Mall as well.

Thanks for being patient with me! We do not have any kind of mass transit really here in East TN (city buses, but we live in the county) so this is all new to me. I have ridden the Metro in San Diego and it was okay. That is what freaks me out a little - rush hour, making to wherever we are going on time, etc...

Mentioned in this post
DC Circulator
DC Circulator
161 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White House
White House
6,920 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Supreme Court
Supreme Court
1,235 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
National Mall
National Mall
6,879 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
San Diego
San Diego
California
23 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

What does ncorrect@ mean?

Have you tried using the trip planner @ www.wmata.com?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,296 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

1. You can use the Metro website's Trip Planner to figure out the answers for Questions 1, 3, 4 and 5. Just plug in the "From" and "To" addresses and the time you want to arrive at your "To" and it will tell you when you need to leave your "From", how to get to your "To", how long it will take and how much it will cost. See: www.wmata.com

2. We the Pizza is at 305 Pennsylvania SE. That "SE" is very important because you might go to 305 Pennsylvania NW and there's no pizza restaurant there! Anyway, the walking time from We the Pizza to the Supreme Court is about 10- 12 minutes.

3. I'm not sure why you have booked the HO/HO trolley tour at Arlington National Cemetery for a specific time. Those trolley buses run continually so you can just show up and buy your tickets when you get there. You do not need advance tickets for the ANC HO/HO buses--they don't sell out.

4. Each person must have their own SmarTrip card to ride Metro (subway), so you need to get 4 cards. The SmarTrip card can also be used to pay for Circulator bus rides and Metrobus, but you can use cash for those if you want. You can buy SmarTrip cards from machines at all Metro stations. You will pay $2.00 for the card plus whatever amount you want to initially put on the card. (Based on your proposed usage, I'd start out with at least $10 on each card.) You can then add money to the card as needed. The Trip Planner feature is a good way to figure out how much you are going to need for each ride each day.

Mentioned in this post
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Supreme Court
Supreme Court
1,235 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington National Cemetery
Arlington National...
8,338 Reviews
Arlington, VA
DC Circulator
DC Circulator
161 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

I have no clue what that is. :) I have tried to use the site to plan my trip, but when I plug in Point A and then Point B is ONLY gives me the planner for the time I am at right that very moment. I don't plan on riding the Metro at 1 a.m. I plan on riding it at 8 .m. or the like. Am I doing something wrong on the site for it to not let me choose my time? I am clicking on the "Plan Trip" tab on the left hand side.

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

I may not have chosen a time, but that is what I have on my itinerary I have put together. I did the trolley thing for time sake though so we could go to the "highlights" of Arlington if you will without having to hoof it all over the place or figure it out for ourselves.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

I have no clue what that is. :) I have tried to use the site to plan my trip, but when I plug in Point A and then Point B is ONLY gives me the planner for the time I am at right that very moment. I don't plan on riding the Metro at 1 a.m. I plan on riding it at 8 .m. or the like. Am I doing something wrong on the site for it to not let me choose my time? I am clicking on the "Plan Trip" tab on the left hand side.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

<<I have tried to use the site to plan my trip, but when I plug in Point A and then Point B is ONLY gives me the planner for the time I am at right that very moment. >>

Select the MORE OPTIONS box on the WMATA Trip Planner, and you can select what time you want to arrive.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,296 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

Re: Post #4

That makes sense that you did not book a specific time for the ANC trolley as I’m almost certain they don’t do that. So that takes some pressure off you getting from the zoo to ANC. The trolley tour, with a stop for the Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, lasts about 2 hours and the cemetery closes at 7:00 pm, so if you are at the cemetery by 4pm, you’ll be fine.

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

Clearly, since you are posting here, you have at least a basic knowledge of internet. wmata.com trip planner is not hard. You have navigated Airbnb (though unclear if your place is in NE or SE.)

All your questions about getting from wherever to wherever are easily answered with online maps. Also, don't restrict yourself to any restaurant schedule.

You could drop into DC from Mars with no knowledge of anything and do fine. But it is also super easy to do a little research.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
2,883 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

The address of your rental confused me and I looked it up on a map. I am far from a DC expert, but that street appears to be Northeast of DC, east of the Anacostia River. The street appears to be either in Benning, Mayfair or Lower Central NE.

None are areas typically recommended for visitors to stay in. From what I have researched on the forum, east of the river is not a convenient place for tourists to stay for a DC visit. I could be very wrong, and if so, am sure someone will be along to correct me. The Metro stop does not appear to be in walking distance from the street of the rental. You will need to be sure of your location, and how long it will take to to get to the stop. Looking at the distance, I would anticipate needing to leave the rental no later than 630am the morning of the White House tour, hoping that it will be early enough.

Hopefully you will get other advice as I am basing mine strictly on a map and the usual recommendations from the experts.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,920 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?

Agreed with the above. If that AirBNB can be canceled, I would do so, even if you lose a significant percentage deposit.

Also, note that every member of your party must have their own individual SmarTrip card. You cannot use the same card for multiple people.

Reply to: Headed 2 DC Tues (1 week) ncorrect@- Tips? Metro? Itinerary?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;