We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Washington 3rd September?

Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Visit Washington 3rd September?

Hi, i will have a 1 week holiday in New York, and in this week i wanna do a 1 day trip in Washington. The best day for me is visit the city on 3rd September, but i saw that it is Labor Day.

Is a good idea visit the city in this day? I will get a flight from Newark do Regan Airport, there is any good and cheap option for go to the city from the airport and viceversa? Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
7 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,935 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Washington 3rd September?

Because of all the security hassles at airports, taking an Amtrak train from NYC or Newark is easier and takes about the same amount of time. Book a Northeast Regional train to DC and you will arrive into the middle of the city.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,346 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Washington 3rd September?

I agree that taking the train is preferable to flying. But should you decide to fly, there is a Metro (subway) station at Ronald Reagan National Airport that you can use to get into the city (Blue Line). Or take a cab which should cost $20 or so.

All of the museums, monuments and memorials will be open on Labor Day. The only buildings that will be closed are government buildings, e.g. Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Metro website: www.wmata.com

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Washington 3rd September?

Amtrak is cheaper and faster for this route. It also will put you more central to things on both cities. Museums are open however since government is closed, many downtown restaurants which cater to workers may close. This may mean that you are limited to the food in Union Station and in the museums

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,014 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Washington 3rd September?

But Labor Day is a fine day to go; it's not empty, it's not ultra-crowded; everything is open except govt office buildings (which I doubt you care about). All the museums, all the monuments, all the stores and restaurants are open as usual.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,577 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Washington 3rd September?

"I will get a flight from Newark do Regan Airport"

If price is same go via Amtrak, at least it is city center to city center.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Washington 3rd September?

I think it's a good idea. LAbor Day is kind of a dull holiday anyway, might as well do something with it.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Washington 3rd September?

i'd say Labor Day in DC is better than Labor Day in NYC. In NYC, the residents are usually away, and everything seems more touristy. In DC it's the same great place all the time, even when residents are away on holiday, too.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Visit Washington 3rd September?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;