We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timetable for White House and Capitol tours

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Timetable for White House and Capitol tours

I was fortunate to receive a spot for a White House tour as well as the Capitol, but they're awfully close together - 8:30 for the WH and 10:00 for the Capitol. Do you think I will have time to really enjoy the WH, or will we be rushing to get to the Capitol on time?

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,920 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
5 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timetable for White House and Capitol tours

I don’t see your being able to make that 10:00 Capitol tour if you have a WH tour at 8:30 am. The tour of the WH is self-guided and most people spend about 45 minutes touring. But there is a wait, sometimes lengthy, to get through all the security checks at the WH. (In one recent thread, a poster reported a wait of 90 minutes before his WH tour.) So if you actually entered the WH at 8:30 am, you could do a non-rushed tour and get to the Capitol via taxi for a 10:00 tour. But I don’t think it’s reasonable to assume that you will walk into the WH at 8:30 am.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timetable for White House and Capitol tours

If your Capitol tour is through your representative's office, with a staffer giving you the tour, you will also have to factor in getting to the office building, clearing security there, and then getting to the actual office This is on top of the time it will take you to get from the White House to the office building to begin with.

If it's just a pre-booked Capitol tour you did yourself online, you still have to get from the WH to the Capitol, and then go through some pretty thorough security to get in.

Re security to enter the White House, on our recent visit there were 3 security points. At the first, we showed our printed confirmation tickets. Then we walked, in the line, to the second point where our names were checked against a printed list and we had to show photo ID. The third point consisted of airport type screening augmented by an officer with a dog. Then we walked the short distance to enter the WH itself. On our visit the line moved pretty well, but we still didn't enter the WH at our scheduled time--it was later than that.

If you can't reschedule your Capitol tour, it seems that you might have to choose one over the other. Make sure you carefully read and follow the guidelines as to what you can and cannot take into the buildings.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,920 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timetable for White House and Capitol tours

This is too tight. The best chance you have of making this work is by arriving at the White House by 730 to be at the front of the security line. Even then, you will have to hustle to the capital in a cab given these sites are not close together

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,920 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Timetable for White House and Capitol tours

We had the exact schedule, 8:30 WH & 10:00 Capitol. Our staffer contact advised us to change the Capitol tour, as he thought it was cutting it to close. We will now tour the Capitol at 2:00. Enough time for the National Archives & some lunch in between.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
26 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timetable for White House and Capitol tours

I'll try to get the Capitol tour time changed, I appreciate the insights.

Reply to: Timetable for White House and Capitol tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted