We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with itinerary

terre haute, indiana
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with itinerary

Hello,

We will be in d.c. for one full day. Staying in Cambridge Maryland. Husband and I with 5 kids ages 20,15,12,9, and 2. We want to visit museum of natural history, walk past White House, visit mlk monument, Lincoln memorial, visit Arlington cemetery and anything else anyone suggests. We will have a vehicle. We can get into town about 8:00 a.m., and leave around 11 p.m. Someone told me they have a Ronald regan parking garage that is close to the monuments and is only about $20, is this a good place to park? Thank you for any help.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Maryland
White House
White House
6,930 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln
Lincoln
White Mountains, NH
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
7 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with itinerary

The drive from Cambridge, Maryland to DC is probably going to be around 2 hours each way. Parking at the Ronald Reagan Building (near the White House) would be a convenient place to park and because they have 2000 parking spaces, you can be assured of a spot. Here’s a link to the rates ($25 for up to 15 hours): https://itcdc.com/parking/

Edited: June 09, 2018, 2:11 pm
Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Maryland
White House
White House
6,930 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,336 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with itinerary

Also, I ‘d recommend going to Arlington National Cemetery at the end of your day and driving and parking in the garage there ($2 per hour). That would be significantly cheaper than taking Metro from/to DC and also much easier. The cemetery closes at 7:00 pm in the summer, so if you get there by 5:00 pm, you’ll have plenty of time. Then you can grab dinner somewhere in Arlington, Virginia before your long drive back to Cambridge.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington National Cemetery
Arlington National...
8,350 Reviews
Arlington, VA
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
98 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with itinerary

The MLK monument and Lincoln Memorial are wonderful but I would suggest that you set aside a couple of hours and do the all of the monuments. The Mall is such a lovely setting and you have a big range of ages to keep happy. Some of the children might enjoy the walk and the freedom of being in the open space, others might appreciate the different monuments and memorials but I think there'd be something for everyone. We walked from the Vietnam memorials, to the Lincoln Memorial, to the Korean War Memorial, then crossed the road to MLK, where you can also look across to the Jefferson Memorial. Then we crossed back again to the WWII memorial and the Washington monument (which was still closed in Feb).

Also the Air and Space was outstanding and again with the range of different ages, I think there would be something for everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,916 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Jefferson Memorial
Jefferson Memorial
5,700 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,226 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with itinerary

6 a.m. to 1 a.m. is a long, grueling day, nothing I would ever choose or recommend. Indiana is close enough that I would really recommend just planning a dedicated 3-5 day trip to DC at another time. But if this is your only chance, and you want to knock yourself out - just park at Union Station or RR center. Everything is centered around the mall. Wear shoes that will walk for 10 miles. You can get the highlights and a museum or two. Look at online maps - also si.edu - decide what is of importance to you

Bring snack/power bars etc. or pay $15.00 - 20.00 per person in Smithsonian cafeterias.

Mentioned in this post
Indiana
Indiana
United States
Union Station
Union Station
2,014 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
terre haute, indiana
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with itinerary

Thank you all so much!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help with itinerary

The natural history museum has a very cool and interactive exhibit on Epidemics which your children of all ages will love. Inside the exhibit they have games and viruses for kiddos to play with and sleuth based puzzles for the adults. There are a lot of docents for questions. I also really like the African voices exhibit as it has lots of music, video and interesting artifacts. There are also great videos throughout the museum on deep water exploration in addition to the more known hope diamond and butterfly exhibits (you walk in a room with lots of butterflies for a cost... around 100 for your family)

terre haute, indiana
Level Contributor
2,345 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help with itinerary

Thank you! So the museum, then mall/monuments and end with Arlington?

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Reply to: Please help with itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted