We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?

Colorado
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?

I'm bringing some high school students to a conference in Baltimore end of this month and we want to take a Segway tour around Washington DC. I believe the recommended route to get from Baltimore to DC is the Mark (or Marc?) train and it stops at Union Station. How would we get from there to where our Segway Tour starts? We don't actually have a Segway tour picked out yet... seems like there's several.... so any suggestions on both things items would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Union Station
Union Station
2,012 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
6 replies to this topic
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?

MARC (Maryland Area Regional Commuter)

Obviously where the tour starts is an important factor. You could walk, take Metrorail, a Metrobus, a Circulator bus, taxi, Uber, etc. Have you never been to a city before?

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
DC Circulator
DC Circulator
161 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,308 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?

I think most Segway tours have an age limit. You'll need to double check that all your participants are old enough.

Anyway, any segway tour in DC is going to be near a metro station and there is a metro station at Union Station as well. Everyone riding metro will need a smarttrip card to pay the fare which varies a bit based on where exactly you're going.

Bike and Roll also does Segway tours and they also have an outpost at Union Station. I'd call there first.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,012 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Bike and Roll DC
Bike and Roll DC
3,315 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?

If you're bringing a group for a Segway tour, the tour people should be happy to tell you how to get to them. Otherwise - wmata.com has a trip planner feature that will help. But also consider that if you have only one day to take your group to DC - a Segway tour can be a waste of time. You can easily walk around all the major sites (most on the mall) in 3-6 hours and 5-6 walking miles, or walk only from Union Station to Lincoln Memorial at 3-4 miles then take taxis back from there.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,012 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,850 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?

The age limit in DC for riding a Segway is 16 years old—no exceptions, so the students may need to prove age. Bike and Roll requires those aged 16 and 17 years old to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, but other companies may not have this requirement. If your teens all meet these various requirements, then definitely plan on doing a Segway tour. Even though I live here, I’ve done a couple of them and the were both a LOT of fun and informative.

I’ve gone out with Bike and Roll and City Segways and both were great!

Mentioned in this post
Bike and Roll DC
Bike and Roll DC
3,315 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Colorado
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?

I booked us on the City Segway . All 3 teens are 17.

I didn’t realize everything was so close in DC. And we are coming from a very rural part of Colorado .

Mentioned in this post
City Segway Tours DC
City Segway Tours DC
1,848 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?

That’s great that you can do the Segway tour. You all will have a blast!

Did you get directions from them on how to get there? As I recall, they are located near the Foggy Bottom Metro station. And allow yourselves more time than you think you’ll need to get anywhere, especially if you are taking Metro.

Edited: June 08, 2018, 9:38 pm
Reply to: Getting from Train Station to a Segway Tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC