We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

I got up at 5:30 MST this morning to snag a ticket for the museum for my Sept trip, only to read that they are piloting walk-up entry only for weekdays. Timed tickets are still required for weekends.

Not sure if that will be easier or not--should I expect a long line waiting to get in? I'm planning to arrive when it opens and stay most of the day.

10 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,127 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

Since it’s not starting until September, no one has any experience with this.

If it were me, I’d show up 45-60 minutes before opening. Just my thoughts. Might be overkill.

https://nmaahc.si.edu/walkup-weekdays

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

I’ve had tickets twice for 10am when the museum opens and even then, I’ve had to wait a fair amount of time to get in due to the long line. Without tickets, I would expect the line to be exponentially longer.

Edited: June 06, 2018, 9:50 pm
Maryland
Level Contributor
263 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

My recommendation is to get there early to line up outside. What's early - that's up to you as this is a brave new world but I'd guess 9 should be fine though I think they've been doing this on Wednesday for a while..

The key thing is go straight to the lower level to wait in line for the elevator that will take you to lower exhibits as the line for the elevator backs up. Once you've come off the elevator, it will be busy but should be manageable.

Eat lunch at the great cafeteria (I'l vouch for the Catfish Po'Boy) after you have hopefully finished the downstairs section and then head upstairs to the sunshine and see the Mothership in all its glory!!

My first visit was an all day commitment made easier by a great lunch!!

I'm very happy to see this new process as it will take the scalpers out of the equation and maybe just maybe I can get back for another visit.

Edited: June 06, 2018, 10:44 pm
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

Thanks for all the tips. I'm definitely an early bird so will line up nine-ish. Strategic error staying in Georgetown where there's no Metro, so not easy getting to the Mall. Looking forward to a whole day there, including eating at the cafeteria.

Mentioned in this post
Georgetown
Georgetown
2,598 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

This makes me really happy as tourists visiting during the week will no longer need to plan months in advance. It will now be like the other museums

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,013 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

Yes, it might relieve the crowds somewhat, knowing they can get in any time. That's one thing I've always loved about the Smithsonian, being able to wander in and out of museums at my leisure, on my schedule.

Portland, Oregon
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

Same and I called their phone to find out what to expect and why they did this and was unable to contact anyone. Would love to hear - I have made a lot of changes to free up the week to visit and this is really disheartening to think of standing in line because we can't get advanced tickets.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
60,127 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

From most accounts, even people with tickets sometimes still have to line up.

I’m assuming they went to open entry because after almost 2 years the crowds have become more manageable. At least once the height of summer tourist season passes.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

Yes, people with tickets do have to line up. There’s a lot of people with tickets for each entry time and it takes awhile to get them through the security process.

And I agree that the museum is probably going to ticketless weekday entry due to lighter crowds. I noticed a significant difference in the crowds a couple weeks ago when I went as opposed to a visit I made a few months ago.

Washington DC...
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC

Honestly, I think you will be more likely to see the museum under this system because you don’t risk not getting a ticket. You can just walk up when you want to visit

Reply to: No timed entry Sept weekdays for NMAAHC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted