We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Michigan national park trip advice!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
308 posts
84 reviews
51 helpful votes
Michigan national park trip advice!
Save

My house and I are 63; healthy and love adventure. Thinking about a week or more visiting national parks in Michigan.

We love outdoors, hiking, photography and enjoying nature. We would be flying from Boston and are thinking about this July. No flights have been made. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

5 replies to this topic
chicago
Level Contributor
12,037 posts
27 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: Michigan national park trip advice!
Save

There's only 5. I highly recommend the first three. Isle Royale requires advance planning.

https://www.mlive.com/entertainment/erry-2018/04/44724a73952055/national_parks_michigan.html

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
2. Re: Michigan national park trip advice!
Save

Thought you were flying to South Dakota in July.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
308 posts
84 reviews
51 helpful votes
3. Re: Michigan national park trip advice!
Save

Ha! I posted on both because I want to go to South Dakota but my husband brought up Michigan. So we are looking into both areas. We love the beauty of national parks but some require that you visit during certain times of year. We would both like to see Glacier but combining that with Banff and Jasper means crossing the border.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Level Contributor
5,379 posts
4. Re: Michigan national park trip advice!
Save

Well, you cant' go wrong with either one.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
9,808 posts
337 reviews
342 helpful votes
5. Re: Michigan national park trip advice!
Save

getting back to michigan, agree with post #1....not familiar with 4 and 5, but 5 can be combined with isle royale.... unofficially, there's a #6....mackinac island... it was a national park before it was turned over to the state and made into a state park over 100 years ago....

https://www.mackinacisland.org/blog/national-parks-in-michigan-mackinac-island-was-the-first/

either way, it should be on your itinerary...

plan on more than a week for this trip....ESPECIALLY if you plan an outing to isle royale... if you go to IR, plan on a MINIMUM of 2 nights for a quality experience..... doing a day trip is a waste of time, unless you just wanna say you stepped foot there... one night doesn't do it justice, thus 2 nights, but 3 is better... just know lodging is crazy expensive on the island---the lodge is more reasonable than the housekeeping cabins, but they do have kitchenettes, so you can prepare your own meals and save some money that way....

even if you don't plan on IR, you have a lot of territory to cover, i'd still opt for more than a week..... and while you're up there, you might as well do a foray over to the apostle islands national lakeshore in NW wisconsin.....a sea kayaking mecca of the midwest....

Reply to: Michigan national park trip advice!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.