We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Michigan summer ‘21

Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
34 helpful votes
10 days in Michigan summer ‘21
Save

Looking to plan a trip to Michigan for late June/early July. We have SW points to fly free into Grand Rapids or Detroit but can purchase flights if another airport would be better.

We definitely want to spend a couple of nights on Mackinac Island. It’s been on my list for a long time. Also looking at a couple of days in Traverse City. We enjoy beaches, scenery, wineries, breweries, live music, easy hikes, and nice hotels.

Ideally, we’ll rent a car in our arrival city and spend 10 days seeing the best of Michigan. We are open to flying into one city and out of another if that would be better.

I’d love any and all suggestions for the best of Michigan.

2 replies to this topic
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
9,811 posts
337 reviews
342 helpful votes
1. Re: 10 days in Michigan summer ‘21
Save

if you could fly into traverse city, that would put you closer to mack island, northern MI wine country, sleeping bear dunes and upper michigan, if you choose to go up there, which i strongly recommend.... if not, then GRR is the better choice over detroit..... and by flying into GRR, you can foray along the west michigan coast, which is dotted with nice beachtowns, beaches and dunes.....

since there's a lot of territory to cover... spend 2 nites tops on the island and spend the rest of the time exploring the mainland.... not sure if you wanna have 1 or 2 bases to work from, or if you plan to stay only 1 or 2 nites in each area and move on.... if you fly into GRR, head straight to grand haven, then up the coast towards ludington, then traverse city..... you can easily spend 3-4 days working your way up to mack island, spending a full day at sleeping bear dunes alone.... but this would require staying in multiple places along the way.... just know, be prepared for lodging sticker shock, especially near lake michigan.... also, since your plans are around the 4th, i'd start nailing down your itinerary and making reservations ASAP.... i have a feeling travel is gonna go crazy this summer.....

you could spend a coupla days across the mighty mack bridge... pictured rocks is a must-see.... take a shoreline cruise..... tahq falls state park and the SOO locks are pretty cool, as is the museum at whitefish point....

Grand Haven...
Destination Expert
for Grand Haven, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,257 posts
215 reviews
140 helpful votes
2. Re: 10 days in Michigan summer ‘21
Save

Definitely fly into GRR and follow the west coast up. Grand Rapids is consistently #1 or#2 in top brewery cities, and west Michigan has caught on fire in the brewery industry. Drive west to Grand Haven (a wonderful coastal small town) and head north from there. When you get to Manistee take M-22 up to Sutton’s Bay and then continue your journey toward Mackinac Island. You’ll find that there are way too many excellent choices of towns to stop and visit, but be sure to do a few. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is not to be missed. Torch Lake was voted by National Geographic as one of the world’s five most beautiful lakes. Stop for lunch by the harbor in Harbor Springs and then take the tunnel of trees. As stated previously, two nights is a good amount of time on the island. Enjoy your visit!

Reply to: 10 days in Michigan summer ‘21
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.