We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui or Kauai for certified but inexperienced SCUBA divers?

Newburyport
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
Maui or Kauai for certified but inexperienced SCUBA divers?
Save

Hi there! We are planning our first trip to Hawaii in late June/early July and will be splitting our time between Maui (Paia and Hana) and Kauai (Hanalei). Can people recommend any particular spots and/or tour operators that they recommend on either island? We will likely stay fairly shallow and aren't interested in seeking out sharks!:)

For background, two of us are recently certified, have our PADI cards and in theory can dive anywhere. But that being said we're pretty new to it, and would definitely want to dive with an expert, rather than simply rent equipment for a shore dive. We also want to make the most of our first dive away from the chilly waters of New England! (Though there's a lot more to see around here than you might think...).

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
23,055 posts
56 reviews
39 helpful votes
1. Re: Maui or Kauai for certified but inexperienced SCUBA divers?
Save

You are staying in Paia and Hana on Maui? This is away from the main areas where there will be diving. I would not stay Paia and pick the south or west side. Make sure you check your lodgings both places as they both have a high number of illegal rentals.

I would look at Extended Horizons out of Lahaina.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
65,160 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Maui or Kauai for certified but inexperienced SCUBA divers?
Save

Maui Dreams in Kihei should offer what you are looking for if you don't want to drive to Lahaina.

Newburyport
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Maui or Kauai for certified but inexperienced SCUBA divers?
Save

Thanks for the quick replies! Yes, both our lodging spots are legal, and I'm looking forward to Paia! (I am more of a hippie town travel than a resort or condo traveler, I guess). I realize that we will be hitting the road for some of our sightseeing and diving, but the diving will be a one-time thing, so that isn't the focus of where we'll stay. I'll check out those outfits -- thank you!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
51,356 posts
45 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Maui or Kauai for certified but inexperienced SCUBA divers?
Save

You can probably dive Tunnels on the northshore in Kauai if the road is open - not sure if they do this by boat. I would post directly on each forum for help with this activity. You will love Hanalei! :)

5. Re: Maui or Kauai for certified but inexperienced SCUBA divers?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: February 29, 2020, 2:41 pm
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Philippines. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.