We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

Belgium
1 post
Save Topic
San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

Hi guys

I'm planning my first trip to the US this September. And I would like to get some advice from the locals or persons who have been there.

I was interested to going to SF because of the cheap airfares, but now the same implies to LA. I'm staying from September 7th till September 15th. So what would be ideal, go to SF, LA or both (without spending to much)? I'm planning of just walking and taking an Uber/Lyft or the public transport.

"things" I should visit? I'm more of a sightseeing, maybe some shopping, going out in the night type of guy.

Any help is gladly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: June 13, 2018, 2:16 am
7 replies to this topic
Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

Look at hotel prices in each city.

I'd split the time, more nights in SF, but SF can be very expensive.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,357 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

SF is very compact and lends itself well to walking and taking public transit. LA is larger and more spread out, so public transit isn't as convenient - still doable, just not as easy as SF. Both cities are great and both are very different from each other. So it really depends on the type of experience you are looking for. Its hard to make a recommendation without knowing much about you.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

San Francisco is a smaller, more compact city. A tourist will be comfortable just using public transportation there. San Francisco is also a picturesque city since it is situated on mountains surrounding a bay.

LA is actually about a dozen urban areas whose suburbs have all merged together. That makes LA very spread out. Our public transit system goes everywhere, but it can take you forever to get to some places by public transportation, so you need to give some advance thought to what you want to see in LA and where you want to stay. LA has more potential tourist attractions than other cities. LA is warmer and sunnier than San Francisco, so many of our attractions, like beaches, are outdoors. Unlike San Francisco, LA is not all that romantic or picturesque. For a week visit to California I would try to do both cities, ideally flying into one and out of the other. Advance reservations on Southwest Airlines are reasonable between the two cities.

As previously mentioned, which city you visit depends on what kind of attractions you want to see.

Edited: June 13, 2018, 3:07 am
Mentioned in this post
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,018 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

HI

SF has some conventions in September than can push lodging prices up. (Dreamforce is HUGE.) But lodging is just generally expensive in such a lovely city.

Sept 6-8; CDA Dentistry

Sept 11-13; Mind & Machine GE

Sept 25-28; Dreamforce 2018

Both SF and L.A. have their own forum page. Open the full TA website and look at the Top Questions on the right. The "Things to Do" at the top might also help with your planning.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,042 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

Only you can decide which city you want to explore. I use the things to do tab, found on every forum page, to help me decide. Things to do is at the top of this page, full version, Scroll to bottom of app to find them.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,341 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

SF is amazing, but very expensive, especially in September.

LA will be very hot (beach weather) in September - it's our hottest month.

What's your budget per night for a hotel?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view

If it's going to be a "scouting" trip to see whether you'd want to visit the cities again then why not both?

They're very different, for good and bad.

Reply to: San Francisco or Los Angeles. Locals point of view
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;