We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

Hi,

My daughter and I are traveling to LA in mid July for business. We have one day (Saturday) free. Our goal would be to see as many marine mammals as possible in their natural habitat.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lorri

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,363 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,808 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,630 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
7 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,021 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

Outside of Marina del Rey's Fisherman's Village, where there are plenty of sea lions basking near the fishing boats, is a good bet. I see dolphins just outside of the wave breaks every time I'm at the beach in Santa Monica. Outside of that, wildlife isn't exactly cooperative! I would go to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach for the day, then a boat tour there, if you get outside of the breakwater, you may see flying fish. If you visit the Santa Monica pier, UCLA runs a sweet, small aquarium beneath the pier, too.

It's kind of like Connecticut, will we see sea life if we drive the coast? Only at a clam shack :) (I grew up in CT).

Connecticut
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

Hi..thank you so much!

I was in CA last year and we drove from LA to San Francisco and saw the most amazing sea life on the beaches on the way. I couldn’t remember exactly where but was hoping it could be a day trip worth seeing. Would not want to go to an aquarium as we have been to so many. Just looking for a wildlife, scenic ride.

Thanks again for your response...where in CT?

Lorri

Level Contributor
6,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

Head down to Crescent Bay Point Park in Laguna, and also visit the nearby Marine Mammal Center.

www.pacificMMC.org

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

Maybe a day trip to the Channel Islands (by boat, maybe Kayak?). Maybe Catalina Island.

King Harbor in Redondo Beach

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,021 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

What you are remembering is a 4 hour drive, one way, to San Simeon. It is not proximate to LA, sorry.

I grew up in South Windsor, spent my 20's in Danbury (loved Danbury!).

You would probably enjoy Malibu, there's tidepooling at Leo Carillo State Beach (check online tide tables, be there 1 hour prior to full low). If there are people fishing, keep an eye on them, it's not uncommon for them to catch young tiger sharks, they'll show you prior to releasing them. As I stated, look just past the wave breaks for pods of dolphins.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
33 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

Thanks!

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,713 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?

Elephant seals are very selective on where they land and where they colonize. In California there are only 3 spots:

Channel Islands

Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery

Año Nuevo State Park

(I think recently they are over at Point Reyes too)

Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Rookery is the most accessible. Right by Highway 1 and you can drive right up to it. That was the one you visited. Indeed as mentioned it is over a 4 hour drive, one way. A bit far to do a day-trip from Los Angeles.

Reply to: LA Day Trips to see Sea Lions, Elephant Seals, etc...?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted