We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help plan a tour to Disneyland and Universal Studio

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help plan a tour to Disneyland and Universal Studio

Hi there

I would want to help me plan a trip for 2 adults, 2 seniors and 2 kids(13,9) to Disneyland and Universal studio tour. We would be travelling to LA in the last week of June 2018. We would want dedicate only day to each tour as we would be have seniors with us (I know it's quite too tight for the schedule). Our main attractions would be the light show at the Disneyland's sleeping beauty castle and the studio tour at the universal studios. My first concern is that as we don't want to miss the night show so what time should we go to the park as we do not want to go early. And my second concern would be how and from where to take the studio tour at the universal studio.

Thanks

2 replies to this topic
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,023 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help plan a tour to Disneyland and Universal Studio

If you area arriving at LAX, go to Anaheim first to have lodging near the park, then you can enjoy it from start until closing, coming and going as you see fit. Disneyland Express bus for transportation

Then transfer to LA. Do this via Amtrak train/Metro red line to Hollywood, or Lyft ($78).

Hollywood is an excellent choice, use Metro red line train to Universal and back The walk of fame is right there, along with the star hand/footprints and other Hollywood attractions, You can use Metro bus #704 to and from Santa Monica, Metro red to downtown LA, HOHO tours, too. LAX Flyaway bus to the airport at end of trip.

Download the app for Lyft, you'll have door-to-door service for some things, too. For example, The Grove/Original Farmers Market, La Brea Tar Pits, Petersen Automotive Museum, LA County Museum of Art are Hollywood close, a Lyft+ there would be $15 from Hollywood & Highland to La Brea Tar Pits, only taking 15 minutes, where the bus will take 30 minutes.

No car necessary, unless you want one. If so, and you only want 1 day at the Disney parks, you can stay in LA and drive to and from, about 45 minutes' drive.

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
The Metro Hotel
The Metro Hotel
538 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
The Grove
The Grove
2,103 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Original Farmers Market
The Original Farmers...
1,895 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Brea
Brea
Orange County, CA
Petersen Automotive Museum
Petersen Automotive...
1,695 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
Los Angeles County...
2,452 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,428 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help plan a tour to Disneyland and Universal Studio

Keep in mind Universal is a theme park, not a working studio. They shoot only reshoots and pick-ups now. They’ve outsourced principal photography for over eight years, and added thrill rides to distract tourists from the fact that all the films mentioned on the studio tour as being filmed there are really old. If you want to see a real studio you have to go to WB, Sony, or Paramount.

Reply to: Help plan a tour to Disneyland and Universal Studio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;