We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Sierra Nevada mountains from south to north

jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
507 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Sierra Nevada mountains from south to north

I thought I'd post my trip itinerary since we really enjoyed this trip, and I thought others might like to do something like this. We drove through the entire mountain range and chose south to north because we did it in spring (late May through early June). Here is the day by day:

Saturday: Flew in to L.A. (from Chicago) and stayed the night.

Sunday: Drove to Red Rock Canyon State Park and then stayed the night in Kernville, at the southern end of the Sierras. Red Rock Canyon is not part of the Sierras ( I think) but it,s a fun place to look around as you drive to the southern end.

Monday: Drove north from Kernville past the Trail of One Hundred Giants, past Ponderosa, hiked to the Needles, past Camp Nelson. We then drove out of the mountains and back in and entered Sequoia National Park.

Tuesday: HIked in Sequoia National Park.

Wednesday: Hiked in Sequoia National Park

Thursday: Drove to Kings Canyon National Park (Cedar Grove area)

Friday: Hiked in Kings Canyon National Park

Saturday: Left the mountains and drove to El Portal (one of Yosemite's western entrances).

Sunday: Hiked in Yosemite National Park

Monday: Hiked in Yosemite National Park

Tuesday: Drove out of Yosemite through the Tioga Pass (hiking along the way) and stayed in the June Lakes/Mammoth Lakes area.

Wednesday: Hiked in the June Lakes/Mammoth Lakes area.

Thursday: Drove to Lake Tahoe, hiked, and stayed near Tahoe City.

Friday: Drove to and explored Lassen Volcanic National Park. Stayed in Redding. While Lassen is not in the Sierras, driving there allowed us to complete the mountain range by driving on Route 36, which is the Fredonyer Pass, which is the northern end of the range. Also, couldn't bypass a nearby national Park!

Saturday: Drove to and stayed in San Francisco. On the way, stopped to see the John Muir National Monument for obvious reasons.

Sunday: Flew home from San Francisco to Chicago.

Many people do a week in Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite. The full mountain range really requires more than a week, but if you have the time, it was an extraordinary trip.

3 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,589 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: Sierra Nevada mountains from south to north

What a cool trip - thanks for telling us about it.

Maybe you'll have time later to do detailed descriptions of different parts of the trip or places you saw on the individual forums for those places. :^)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: Sierra Nevada mountains from south to north

Thanks for the trip report. You chose the right year. Last year, some of the places would have been still under snow at the time of your visit. The Sierra is truly a marvelous mountain range.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: Sierra Nevada mountains from south to north

Wow! What an awesome trip. You guys really saw lots. Fantastic!

Reply to: Trip Report: Sierra Nevada mountains from south to north
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted