We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to first from LA?

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Where to first from LA?

Hi all, my partner and I are going taking a trip around the USA for 4 weeks. We are coming from Australia. The itinerary we are thinking is Mel-LA (stop over only) to New York, Chicago, Florida, Atlanta, New Orleans, Texas, Las Vegas, LA then back home. Wondering if this is ok? These are the states we would like to see.. but not particular in this order.. what are people’s thoughts? Unfortunately we only have 4 weeks and would like to see as much as we can. Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Mel's Drive-In
Mel's Drive-In
820 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Texas
Texas
United States
9 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,516 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to first from LA?

Bec N, welcome to the forums.

8 places in 4 weeks? And "FL" and "TX" are two of the places? No can do.

What sights are you looking to see? What interests do you have?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,074 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to first from LA?

As you are not asking about Los Angeles, here is the correct forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12…

Happy planning.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to first from LA?

Seasonal weather would predominate my thinking. Florida and New Orleans are best in winter, miserably hot and humid in summer. New York can be hot and humid in summer, but it's not unrelenting. New York can be really cold in winter and snow may alter your plans. I had to cancel a trip to New York this year when a storm hit and roads were closed for that weekend. Statistically though I was unlucky. Chicago winters are more extreme than New York's. LA weather is mild compared to the other places that you are thinking about, so it would probably be a secondary consideration. Springtime and autumn on the East Coast of the US, including in New York is beautiful.

Are you into live music? I'm not, but we did go to small venues and got plenty of live music on trips to New Orleans and Austin Texas. We have also gone out for live jazz in New York City.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Austin
Austin
Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to first from LA?

We are looking at going in August so middle of summer there. Unfortunately this is the only time we can fit it into our busy lives. Remembering Australia can get up to 40 degree here also (104 fahrenheit).

We would like to see Disney & Universal (LA), Texas I have San Antonia, Houston and Dallas with a stop in Austin. If New Orleans is all about live music and not much else then I think we can skip it as you said can see that in Texas.

I have always been a big fan of America since I was a kid so this is why Im trying to squeeze every amount into a 4 week trip. We decided to not do San Fran for New Orleans and Chicago. But we are happy to drop one for the other if they are a better city. Just need some thoughts...

thanks to all who have replied

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
31,328 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Texas
Texas
United States
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Austin
Austin
Texas
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
LA
Level Contributor
11,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to first from LA?

Yes, this post should be on the Road Trip forum.

Too many places for a 4 week itinerary, I agree.

I would drop at least 3 of your destinations. Otherwise your trip will become a tour of US Airport Security lines.

Florida is a state so drop that.

Chicago and Atlanta seem like second choices on your wish list

So I'd also drop either Las Vegas or New Orleans. NOLA is far more interesting, but not for me in August....

You've got 4 destinations in Texas and Texas is big. Remember one full day in a place is actually two nights there, so you've already committed 8 nights to Texas and you probably need more.

I'd think San Francisco would be a better choice in August than New Orleans. .

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Nola
Nola
246 Reviews
Palo Alto, CA
Texas
Texas
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Level Contributor
5,718 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to first from LA?

The problem is that you are using 7 or 8 of your days just for travel from one place to another. So that brings you down to 20 days of actual visit time. And you've listed about 10 different cities so far, so you're talking 2 nights/one full sightseeing day per city. I know that you have big dreams, but you have to decide if the expense of say, flying from Chicago to Florida, is worth it for a two night stay. Keeping in mind that the 2-night visit means you'll have less time to enjoy somewhere else. It's basically an unpacking-then-packing-up type of vacation, go go go.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,380 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to first from LA?

Too many places on your list - as planned, it's just an overnight in each city. Be realistic. Travel days are a full day (2 hours through security, traveling to and from an airport /hotel).

Drop Texas and Florida. New Orleans will be very hot. Maybe drop Vegas or Atlanta.

With 3 nights in each city, you've got time for Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Vegas, and maybe Dallas and Austin. But also realize that each flight is about 5 hours. This country is enormous.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Austin
Austin
Texas
Silicon Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to first from LA?

The last list is OK except I would replace Dallas with SF.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to first from LA?

Awesome thanks guys have posted in the other forum.. sorry first time I have actually used this :)

Reply to: Where to first from LA?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted