We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

Hi,

Christmas this year we are going to do a 2 week roadtrip from Seattle to LA and we still have a gap of 1 day between Bandon (OR) and SF. It would be nice if we had a stop somewhere in between because driving from Bandon to SF is a pretty long trip.

Would like some advice on something nice to see. Preferrably scenery that is interesting at sunset.

Best regards,

Marcus

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,799 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,630 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
8 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,151 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

Well 3 weeks to see the entire coast is rushed. But you can check out the redwood parks and stay in Trinidad

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

Hi, thanks for your answer. Trinidad looks good, will check into it though i see from there to SF is still a 5hr drive. But it's better than drive all the way from Bandon.

According to our itinerary it's not 2 weeks but 20 days, close to 3 weeks that is. (and yet you still say that's rushed ;) We don't need to see 'everything', just the most photogenic places (2 photographers with photography as main goal). We planned to be in Seattle for 4 days, 1 day portland and waterfalls close by, then Bandon 1day > (possibly Trinidad 1 day) > SF 3 days > Yosemite 3 days > Back to SF for NYE > LA for the rest of the days (maybe going to Vegas as well, depending on our energy level)

Fort Bragg...
Level Contributor
546 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

You will probably encounter winter weather, snow, high winds and rain especially in OR. You cannot use snow chains on a rental car and if it is a big Pacific storm you really don’t want to be driving in it. Really better to stay in Coastal CA and the deserts.

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

Thanks for your reply. I'm not afraid of a little weather. (ofcourse if there is a big storm, that's different. But how big is that chance... *knock wood*). We're used to driving snowy and icy roads in Europe. And if the weather is not permitting to drive the 101, we'll use to I5 to get to our destination. What i do know is that we want to rent a 4WD and buy snow chains just in case.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,881 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

>>buy snow chains just in case.<<

Read Post #3 carefully -- you cannot put snow chains on a rental car without voiding your contract and insurance. You would be liable for ANY damage that they could feasibly attribute to the chains, as well as loss of income while the car is in the shop, etc. If you know this and decide to go ahead, fine, but you need to know what your risks are.

>>we'll use to I5 to get to our destination<<

And be aware that there are times when I-5 is closed, as well. Bring the highway condition phone numbers with you so you can check frequently.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,027 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

Hwy 101 along the coast is a better option during a storm than I-5 over the Siskiyous.

Daylight hours: www.SunriseSunset.com

Extreme Northern...
Level Contributor
566 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

"How Big is that chance...". Every winter there are storms severe enough that the highways in these areas are closed for certain periods of time while they pass and the highways can be cleared by road crews. Highway 101 in northern California has regular severe winter storms and rock slides. It snows regularly in Portland. Interstate 5 in Oregon and California has high elevation mountain passes which get snow storms that close the highway. The roads into Yosemite get regular winter storms with closures and rock slides. These are regular winter occurrences. Will they occur while you are on your trip? Who knows. You'll have to monitor the weather and need to maintain flexibility while on your trip, but winter isn't an ideal time for a road trip along this route. Please don't use any mapping apps to determine your routes between I-5 and the coast without speaking to locals about the state of the roads. Every year people get stranded in the snow and even die taking unmaintained roads recommended by google maps or similar. Much of this area is rugged territory and you need to put in time doing research.

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov

https://tripcheck.com

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)

Thanks for the heads up. We will take extra measures on our trip.

I contacted our hotel in Yosemite, and they told us that winter is a perfect time to visit. (Some accomodations are already fully booked). I also have seen the most beautiful photo's taken during winter time. But anyway, i appreciate the feedback as i know there are enough people taking foolish risks (been on a number of self drives in Africa, where i have seen people stranded in loose sand or mud with a small 2wd vehicle).

According to the chains, i would only use them if there are no other options. And i read that in Yosemite they might check if you have them but not put them on the tyres.

Reply to: Please advice, POI between Bandon(OR) and San Francisco(CA)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted