We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Perris, California
3 posts
Save Topic
Road trip

I am planning on going to Las Vegas, San Francisco, and would also like to go to the California Redwoods. I would be leaving from Perris, California. Any tips on what would be the best route? Should I do Vegas first then cross over to SF? SF first, then cross over to Vegas?

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,358 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,794 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,627 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
6 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,937 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

Hi

How much time do you have? When is this trip?

Do you want to see any Coastal Redwoods, or do you need to drive to Redwood National & State Parks?

MAP of both types of Big Trees: statusgo.us/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Sequo…

I don't think either direction is absolutely 'better' than the other. You may want to cross the Sierra Nevada mountain range in Yosemite, and thus you'd want to do the loop in the direction that has lodging availability. Or you may want to avoid a huge convention in San Francisco. Or you may decide to save Las Vegas for a future trip and just explore more of California now.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

I would go to Las Vegas first. I would drive through Death Valley and stay one night in Stovepipe Wells, then on to Yosemite via US 395 and CA 120 unless CA 120 is closed. Then on to San Francisco. Then on to see Coastal Redwoods. Then I'd get to I-5 and head home to Perris.

Perris, California
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

The trip would be in August. We would have about 5 or 6 days. Isn't Yosemite much further? I just want to go and see the drive-thru trees which I believe are in Eureka..

Perris, California
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

The trip would be in August. We would have about 5 or 6 days. Isn't Yosemite much further? I just want to go and see the drive-thru trees which I believe are in Eureka..

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,937 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

I don't think that 5 days is sufficient for Las Vegas + driving to Yosemite + Yosemite + created-for-tourists drive thru trees + San Francisco + driving back to your home. That's more like a 10-12 day fast paced trip.

If your priority is Coastal Redwoods + a drive thru tree, then save all the rest for a future trip.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,571 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip

I agree 5 days is not enough time! Go straight up to Eureka and explore the coastal redwoods.

Reply to: Road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted