We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which National Parks need to be booked in advance?

Hamburg, Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
Which National Parks need to be booked in advance?

Dear fellow travellers,

I plan to visit some National Parks and other sights in California and southwestern US in September 2018:

- Yosemite

- Sequoia and King's Canyon

- Zion National Park

- Bryce Canyon

- Antelope Canyon

- Grand Canyon

Do you know if any of them are tour-access only (and have to be booked in advance)? So far I found out that Antelope Canyon can only be visited with a guided tour, and at the planned date I will be there only few tour slots are available.

Also, do you know at which Parks there are official tours one should take (and has to book in advance)?

Best regards and thanks for your answers,

Michael

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,006 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which National Parks need to be booked in advance?

Hi

It's lodging that needs to be booked well in advance. Have you secured that? It's quite late to begin planning.

In Yosemite, the one way hiker's bus ride up to Glacier Point sells out. I think the round trip tours sell out as well.

Purchase Alcatraz tickets from the official concessionaire 90 days in advance. Those sell out.

Purchasing the America the Beautiful federal lands pass for $80 at your first National Park will save money.

Edited: June 11, 2018, 3:13 am
Mentioned in this post
Glacier Point
Glacier Point
4,087 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Hamburg, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which National Parks need to be booked in advance?

Thanks for your reply!

we have planned our itinerary and booked all accommodations already. However we haven't decided what to do on each stop, whether explore everything on our own or join a guided tour (if there are ones worth taking).

All the best,

Michael

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,006 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which National Parks need to be booked in advance?

Hi again

Each city / destination has its own forum. Open the full TripAdvisor website and take advantage of all the information provided by folks who know and love that destination.

On the Yosemite forum, the Top Questions include Trip Reports, former TripLists, maps, specific ideas of what to see & do in each area of the Park, maps, and more.

You'll probably notice that few of your listed destinations are in California. You'll need to find those forums on their own state forums (or use Google or use the search bar at the top of the page.)

Nothing anywhere is a Must Do. Each traveler gets to decide how to spend their valuable vacation time. Each traveler decides "worth it" or "worth doing."

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Which National Parks need to be booked in advance?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;