We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Los Angeles

3 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay in Los Angeles

I’m visiting California with my husband and teenage sons this August and aim to stay in LA for a couple of days. We’re not sure where to stay as a base - downtown or Long Beach. My sons want to see Venice beach as well as the sights in downtown. We will have a hire car and have heard it’s hard work driving in LA. Any ideas please to help us decide would be great.

Mentioned in this post
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,052 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Desert Riviera Hotel
Desert Riviera Hotel
#1 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 65 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Hotel California
Hotel California
#2 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
10 replies to this topic
San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
612 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Downtown (DTLA) is the answer to your question. No way should you consider staying in Long Beach for LA tourism, especially if relying on public transportation. But why have you limited the choice to DTLA or LB? DTLA will be more expensive for parking a car, LB is just too remote.

Edited: June 10, 2018, 9:58 pm
Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,028 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Hi gwen, and welcome to TripAdvisor forums

This forum is about the entire state of California. I recommend that you open the full TripAdvisor website (not the app) and look at the Los Angeles page. On the right you'll see some excellent Top Questions. Folks who know and love L.A. have curated that list for visitors. You might want to repost on that forum after you've read some of the relevant topics.

L.A. www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655-i61

Mentioned in this post
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Thanks for your advise. Where would you recommend we stay in Los Angeles then?

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,516 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

gwen v, welcome to the forums.

It would help to update your profile so people know where you are from. That may effect recommendations. Since you said "hire car" instead of a "rental car" I'll assume you are from the UK or Australia.

If that is the case then it would help to know your itinerary, like how many total nights, sights you plan to see etc.

For example, if your plans include sights like Disneyland and Hollywood there is no one area to stay convenient for both, there is only mutual inconvenience. When people have 2-3 days for Disney and 2-3 days for LA sights we recommend splitting the stay.

In August, with a rental car I'd recommend staying at the beach, Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica. Which one you choose depends on your nightly hotel budget in U.S. dollars (another thing useful to tell the group here). If your budget won't allow a beach stay then West Hollywood/Beverly Center area would be my next pick.

If your plans include San Diego sights, that would be another place to stay and split nights.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,241 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Beverly Center
Beverly Center
305 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Difficult to say because you have not disclosed enough of your full itinerary. Many people would recommend Beverly Glen, but that depends on whether you have any destinations in the Hollywood or Mid-City areas. It is unusual for tourists to be interested only in Venice and Downtown and not Hollywood.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,052 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,516 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Oh... and Long Beach is NOT what you want. There are no hotels near the nice beaches of Long Beach. Long Beach has some nice sights to see, but it NOT a convenient place to stay to tour So Cal, it merely ensures LOTS of driving in bad traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
57,516 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

>>>Many people would recommend Beverly Glen<<<

I think you mean Beverly Grove, that which I call West Hollywood/Beverly Center area . Beverly Glen is an area/street just east of the 405 and there is no place to stay there.

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Center
Beverly Center
305 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,456 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Scott is right, good catch. That’s what I get for posting too early in the morning.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,374 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Long Beach, despite its name, is not a beach town, but a port. It has nice pockets, but it's a terrible location for touring LA, since it's an hour away in horrific traffic.

Downtown, aka DTLA, is also not where a tourist wants to be based. It has some amazing restaurants, but generally is a business area and undergoing a great deal of construction. Parking is extremely expensive.

Look in the area around The Grove or Beverly Center, West Hollywood, Hollywood, Venice, or Santa Monica. It will all come down to budget per night for a hotel/per room. What is your budget?

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
The Grove
The Grove
2,108 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Beverly Center
Beverly Center
305 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Venice Beach
Venice Beach
9,052 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Los Angeles

Thanks for all your advice. Yes we’re travelling from the uk and doing a road trip of California, I’ve already booked accommodation in San Diego, Santa Barbara, Carmel and San Francisco. I’ve decided, after reading your comments to book in the West Hollywood area of LA.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara
California
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco