We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yosemite

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Yosemite

We are hiring a car from San Francisco on a Sunday and plan on to drive to Mariposa before heading into Yosemite Valley. We plan to stay 2 nights in Mariposa and then drive to Las Vegas on the Tuesday.

I am really confused as to the long drive from Mariposa to Las Vegas?

Are we better staying 1 night in Mariposa and then staying somewhere else along the way?

We are travelling in late June. Can anyone assist with this please?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,910 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
2-Day Yosemite National Park Tour...
168 Reviews
from US$419.00*
Yosemite and Glacier Point with...
2 Reviews
from US$169.00*
Free Cancellation
Family Hike in Yosemite
5 Reviews
from US$88.89*
Free Cancellation
3 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yosemite

"Long" or "not long" a drive is subjective. I have seen posters from Australia who said they are used to long distance driving so 13-14 hour drive is just a piece of cake. I have also seen posters from (a very similar country but not to be named) who would say "gosh, 2 hour of driving I need an overnight stop". So it depends on which group of driver you are. Long, or not long?

Driving straight from Mariposa to Las Vegas, if you don't go through Tioga Pass and Death Valley, is about 8 hours. If you want to reduce this driving, it would make sense to not stay in Mariposa the second night but exit Yosemite, and head over to Bakersfield to stay a night en-route. Bakersfield is the last major town en-route. I would not recommend going beyond because accommodations are rather scarce in the desert area. Mariposa to Bakersfield is about 3 hours.

Edited: June 10, 2018, 2:11 pm
Mentioned in this post
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Tioga Pass
Tioga Pass
1,027 Reviews
Bakersfield
Bakersfield
California
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Yosemite

I would stay in Yosemite Valley (or Mariposa) the first night and June Lakes Area the second night.

Travelyosemite.com

Great description of scenic drive (in reverse)- (though there are faster routes)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c1…

Edited: June 10, 2018, 3:20 pm
Mentioned in this post
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,910 Reviews
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,686 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yosemite

Hi

I would change your itinerary, even if you keep that lodging.

On Sunday, pick up your reserved rental car in San Francisco / SF and drive to Mariposa GROVE just inside the South Entrance. Then drive down to Mariposa (town.)

On Monday, drive 1 1/4 hrs to Yosemite Valley for day-time tourism. Then drive 1 hour up to Glacier Point (maybe also hike Sentinel Dome.) Drive 2 hours back to Mariposa.

On Tuesday, drive toward Yosemite (again!) but this time turn left up Big Oak Flat Road toward Hwy 120 and on to Tioga Road for your Tioga Road / Tuolumne Meadows tourism. Exit via Tioga Pass, down to Lee Vining, and south on Hwy 395. Plan for a night on this route!

On Wednesday, complete the drive through fabulous Death Valley NP and on to Las Vegas.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,910 Reviews
Glacier Point