We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Bengaluru, India
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip

I want to drive from halfmoon bay to santa Cruz. I am not driving on freeways right now and am a new driver in US, so just wanted to know how is the drive and what is the speed limit of CA 1 on this stretch?

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,799 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,629 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
5 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

From Half Moon Bay to Santa Cruz, fairy leveled, along the coast, gentle curves here and there. Speed limits vary. The limits are posted along the highway. If you are driving on fairly straight roads, around 55 mph and no higher for your safety.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,869 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

>>what is the speed limit of CA 1 on this stretch?<<

It's ok to drive slower than the speed limit (if that's what you're concerned about). I would not drive faster than the speed limit, given your situation. If more than 3 cars are following closely behind you (in other words, your speed is slowing them down), the law requires that you pull over when safe to let them pass.

San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
659 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

Susan, the law actually states to use turnout for more than 5 cars following, and yo use designated turnouts (labeled by sign). CalTrans is so sign-crazy, it will be impossible not to know the speed limit just by watching for signs.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,138 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

How will you get to half moon bay in the first place ? Where are you starting from

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,869 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

>>Susan, the law actually states to use turnout for more than 5 cars following, <<

I can never remember the legal number, but it seems to me that if you're holding up 3 people, it's just courteous to move aside when you can. (In fact, if there's even one car that's really riding my bumper, I'll pull over to them them pass...)

And while I won't pull off if it's dangerous, I'm not going to insist on my right to wait for a marked turnout to let folks go by.

Reply to: Road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted