We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip

Hey all!

I’m looking at road tripping America (all of it) looking at 3-5 months dropping in to Canada for some short trips!

After reading some old posts on here I have ruled out buying an rv and have decided to hire a car and camp/cheap hotel.

However I can’t find anything on cross state travel, insurance, registration ect:

So I guess my question would be, can I cross states in a hire car?

Thanks

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,358 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,794 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,627 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
7 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,818 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip

Yes, you can cross state lines in a rental car. No issues with that.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,921 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip

Here is the multi-state, multi-country Road Trips forum: https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Use the relevant topics in the Top Questions on this forum and on the Road Trips forum. Full TA Website.

Southern California
Level Contributor
15,204 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip

Where are you from? If traveling under the Visa Waiver Program you get 90 days, not 3 months, otherwise you need a B1/B2 visa good for 180 days.

Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip

I’m coming from Australia, and I knew about the waiver but not the b1/b2 thanks I’ll look into that!

I read somewhere about different insurance from state to state? If I hire a car, can I just get in and drive where ever and not have to worry?

Thanks

Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip

I’ve hired a car from Hertz for a road trip this month....

California to Nevada

Nevada to Utah

Utah to Colorado

It’s no problem at all although you do pay extra to drop the car off in a different state from where you picked up from, or at least you do with Hertz. Perhaps other car hire companies have different policies I’m not sure.

Munich
Level Contributor
9,884 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip

We did that kind of road trip about 20 times and never had a problem. We crossed the USA east to west and north to south, always the insurance was good for all of the states.

As George mentions, you only have to pay for the drop of in a different state.

Beate

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,852 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip

>>different insurance from state to state?<<

That's for buying or renting a car in different states; the terms of your rental contract will apply in all states. As far as I know, the only restrictions on where you can drive the car have to do with international borders (Mexico and maybe Canada), or with driving off-road, or with seasonal driving conditions in places with extreme weather conditions (snow in the mountains or extreme heat in the deserts).

Reply to: Road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted