We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food on Amtrak Surfliner

Charlotte, North...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Food on Amtrak Surfliner

What is the food like in Business Class of the Amtrak Surfliner train from San Luis Obispo, CA to San Diego. Interested to know offerings and cost.

Mentioned in this post
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
5 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
736 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food on Amtrak Surfliner

Depending on the day if the week or if its holiday i been on buisness class its usually around 15 or 17 dollars..

They free food they give on buisness class is like chips cookies and other kinds of snacks they offer. Its like a boxful of snacks . you also get two bottles of mini wine bottles a free paper and more longer room it seems like the Wi-Fi goes a little bit faster..less people unless its holiday or a big event going on people will take the train..

The food like the deli on train is the same for buisness class or coach.. Most the stuff there is premade or in packages or they will heat up in the microwave .. I would just bring my own food and drinks

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food on Amtrak Surfliner

I don't know the current Business Class snack box, but it used to be pita chips, hummus, trail mix, chocolate chip cookies, etc. In the mornings there was a free pastry.

The menu for the Cafe Car including prices as of last year is at:

octa.net/pdf/LOSSAN_2017_7_PacificSurfliner_…

The sandwich selections can vary but the menu gives you an idea.

Edited: June 09, 2018, 12:38 pm
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
43 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food on Amtrak Surfliner

We're not going 'business class', so is the menu the same for other classes? We're coming from New Zealand so having to arrange things long distance!! COMPLICATED.. We also assume it's the same on other trains (we're not sure which train we'll end up on..) I presume there's some consistency across the range? It would be nice if all this information was supplied up front. It's starting to feel like drawing teeth..

San Diego...
Level Contributor
736 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food on Amtrak Surfliner

The menu on the train for food is the same on the California amtrack but if your takeing other train outside of California like sleeper trains some if them have more of restraunt type of menu... But the surfer liner does not have a lot of stuff.. But its the same food for buisness class as it is for coach they both get the food at the same train cart and prices are the same in the food cart for buisness or coach

The only difference is buisness class just get some extra stuff like chips and other stuff really small.m i would say most people get buisness class for the leg room and lesss people .. Than theyvdo for the snacks.. Which really isnt worth for the business class

Your allowed to bring your own food or food from a restraunt or grocery store or any thing that sells food

Most train station usually have food places near by or at the train station. Much better than the food they serve on the train and train food is expensive for what its worth.

I rember one time i took the amtrack from san diego.. I bought a whole pizze to eat but what was funny that day i think other people had the same idea i saw about 50 pizza on the train..

But when you get to the train station. Just look for foid places near. By

Mentioned in this post
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food on Amtrak Surfliner

Overall the food is similar on all of the intra-California trains. But there are a few minor variations on the intra-California trains. I believe the Surfliner Cafe Car has a Jalapeno Cheeseburger on the menu I linked above which is not offered on the San Joaquins or Capitol Corridor. The San Joaquins and Capitol Corridor have a Chicken Burrito which I do not remember seeing on the Surfliner menu.

Long distance trains operating partially in California such as the Coast Starlight will have a full dining car. But since that would require a change of trains to reach San Diego the OP would likely not use it.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Food on Amtrak Surfliner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted