We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this SF to Portland road trip doable?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is this SF to Portland road trip doable?

My husband and 3 young children (ages 4,7, and 9) are road tripping from San Fran to Portland at the end of June over 7 days. I have an outline, but am worried it's too much driving every day. Must I choose between Crater Lake and the Oregon sand dunes? If you could please take a look and let me know if this itinerary feels too packed, and offer any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

Day 1: Fly into SF (explore chinatown, drive Lombard St. an have dinner on the water)

Day 2: SF - Point Reyes - Bodega Bay - Mendocino (Point Reyes Shipwreck, beach views)

Day 3: Mendocino - Fort Bragg - Ferndale (glass beach & skunk train in AM, Ave. of Giants in PM)

Day 4: Ferndale - Loletta - Crescent City (Loletta Cheese Factory, Trinidad Lighthouse, Tree of Mystery)

Day 5: Crescent City - Crater Lake (Oregon Caves Nat'l monument on the way)

Day 6: Crater Lake - Florence (boat tour in crater lake AM, Dun buggy ride in Florence in PM)

Day 7: Florence - Portland (visit Multnomah Falls before crashing in Portland!)

Day 8: Fly home

I'm tired just writing all that, but it all sounds so wonderful. Please advise!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Lombard Motor Inn
Lombard Motor Inn
656 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Bodega Bay
Bodega Bay
Sonoma County, CA
Mendocino
Mendocino
Mendocino County, CA
Fort Bragg
Fort Bragg
Mendocino County, CA
Ferndale
Ferndale
Humboldt County, CA
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
Trinidad
Trinidad
Humboldt County, CA
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Multnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls
2,668 Reviews
Bridal Veil, OR
3 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this SF to Portland road trip doable?

That's a lot of driving, and you are exposing yourself to a lot of "are we there yet" commentary from the kids. Can you extend your stay and drive less per day?

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,192 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this SF to Portland road trip doable?

RE: Day 6: Crater Lake - Florence (boat tour in crater lake AM, Dun buggy ride in Florence in PM)

I don't think you have time for both. The earliest boat tour is 9:30 am to 11:30 am. You still have to hike back up to your parking area. This and that. A 4-hour drive (just driving time) to Florence. With a lunch in between. About 5pm arrival to Florence. Those dune buggy places close at about 5pm. I don't know about the schedule for the last tour (~4 pm or something)? You can check with them.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Oregon Coast, OR
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,397 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this SF to Portland road trip doable?

If you don't have lodging reservations already for Crater Lake you won't be spending the night there. You could try for something at Diamond Lake Resort...or stay in Medford or Grants Pass, but you'd be a couple hours away from CL.

You'll be better off just continuing up the Oregon Coast. Maybe a half day jetboat trip into the Rogue River Wilderness from Gold Beach and a dune buggy ride in Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area will work for you. Save Crater Lake for another visit.

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Gold Beach
Gold Beach
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area
Oregon Dunes National...
255 Reviews
Reedsport, OR
Reply to: Is this SF to Portland road trip doable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted