We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disneyland or Universal ?

Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Disneyland or Universal ?

Good morning,

I wanted advice from you ... we are an Italian couple, 50 years old, without children we are undecided whether to go to Universal Studios or Disneyland .. I'm afraid that Disneyland is just for kids We've been to Universal Studios in Orlando and we liked them very much ... Are they similar ??

I ask you one more thing ... to visit some TV studio what do you recommend .. Paramount or Warner ?? if you have other suggestions .. they are more than welcome ... Thanksee !!!

Mentioned in this post
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios...
31,230 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
17 replies to this topic
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,015 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

Warner Bros is the most popular studio tour. Do you really want to go to a theme park? They aren't necessary, and this city has a lot to do and see. Universal here is tiny compared to Orlando, if you've done it, I'd not repeat it here.

Include the CA Science Center, home to the Endeavour Space Shuttle and this year, an excellent King Tut exhibit (you'll need timed tickets for Tut). Outside is the lovely Exposition Park Rose garden to stroll.

Include La Brea Tar Pits, very unique. Nearby are two other excellent museums: Petersen Automotive Museum and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. One mile from these, have a meal and stroll at The Original Farmers Market/The Grove.

Hollywood! Tours are here, you can start your visit with a grand tour to tick off the highlights of the city. See the walk of fame/star hand/footprints along the sidewalks, go to Griffith Observatory for the beautiful views and the exhibits/planetarium, too. Get here from Hollywood/Vine via a shuttle:

https:/…observatory.html

A day at the beach. If you have a car, start this day by driving PCH through Malibu for those great ocean views, return via the same route for Santa Monica. Getty Villa is along the route, it's well worth visiting. Enjoy Santa Monica, it's a great walking town, spend the day enjoying the ocean, 3rd St. Promenade and all the surrounding streets. Montana Ave to the north is very nice, boutiques and restaurants, Main St. to the south is another fine walking street with the same.

Here are the LA things to do:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g326…

Please be sure to visit us on the LA forum, read the first two forum posts, they are our FAQs, ask us more questions there:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g32655…

And do read reviews of both parks if you are still interested in a theme park visit.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
California Science Center
3,462 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco Shuttle Tours
San Francisco Shuttle...
1,041 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Exposition Park
Exposition Park
73 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Rose Garden Inn
Rose Garden Inn
402 Reviews
Berkeley, CA
Brea
Brea
Orange County, CA
Petersen Automotive Museum
Petersen Automotive...
1,694 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
Los Angeles County...
2,452 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
The Grove
The Grove
2,103 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Griffith Observatory
Griffith Observatory
16,686 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Malibu
Malibu
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
The Getty Villa
The Getty Villa
2,078 Reviews
Malibu, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,741 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

disneyland is for kids 1 to 101 so I think you have the wrong idea. If you have been to Universal Florida -- well do Disneyland then - It is not in LA as you may know so if you plan to stay in LA and go there for the day you will spend time in traffic getting there

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,432 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

Universal Hollywood isn't nearly as good as Universal Orlando. I'd skip it and go to Disneyland.

I like Warner Bros better than Paramount for studio tours.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

Thanks .. I booked in hollywood, vine strret area, but I guess I'm wrong! Wanting to take a walk to hollywood (walk of fame ..) Disneyland, as you advised me, the CA Science Center and, perhaps, a half day at sea, what area do you recommend for sleeping? We do not have a car! We will use public transportation or Uber.

Mentioned in this post
3,462 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,015 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

You are in a fine area for public transportation and Lyft. Use Metro 704 bus to Santa Monica from Hollywood. Use Metro red line to downtown LA's 7th St. Metro Station, transfer to the Metro Expo train, it stops in front of the science center. And all the tours of the city are located in Hollywood. You picked a central location with good transportation, stay there.

Please be sure to plot trips using this:

https://www.metro.net/

If you get confused, we are here to help you, but it is best for you to plot your own trips on the Metro trip planner first, because once you are here, we aren't able to help you on the spot.

Mentioned in this post
The Metro Hotel
The Metro Hotel
538 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,886 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

Post in the Anaheim Forum for more information about Disneyland.

Many adults of all ages go to Disneyland without kids and have a great time!

Edited: June 09, 2018, 3:08 am
Mentioned in this post
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
117 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Burlingame, CA USA
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

If you are prone to motion sickness, skip Universal. Many of the rides are the 3D motion simulator kind. I went with my son last summer and while he loved the Harry Potter Land, that ride was the closest I've ever come to actually vomiting - had it gone on 30 more seconds it would have been all over for me.

Love Disneyland and don't think it is "just for kids" at all.

Trieste, Italy
Level Contributor
35 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

Thanks to all of the useful information !!! Eventually we will sleep where we have booked. I think we'll take a tour of hollywood, we're going to visit the science center, the observatory griffith, santa Monica and disneyland ... because, in the end, we're always a bit children, with a great desire to have fun ....

I still have some doubts:

1. What means do you recommend me from the Vine street area, where will we sleep, to go to Disneyland? It is very far .....

2nd We do not have a car ... we will also use Uber or Lyft ... but what is the difference? Are they similar? Which one is the best? Sorry, but I really do not know them ....

Thank you .... I will study the plan of the metro calmly and, in case, I will take care of your kindness again !! Ciao !

Mentioned in this post
Griffith Park
Griffith Park
2,855 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,886 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

It's best to post in the Anaheim Forum for answers to questions regarding Disneyland, even transport from LA, since Disneyland is in Anaheim and there are many with experience visiting Disneyland posting in the Anaheim Forum. Also, we share tips and information that can help you.

My opinion is that the best way to get to Disneyland from Los Angeles without a car is to use Uber or Lyft. That way you will be able to leave LA when you want as well as leave Disneyland when you want. You won't have to worry about timetables the way you do with public transportation or tours and you will be able to have more time in the park.

Uber and Lyft are very similar and some drivers even work for both. Both give first time riders a discount on their first ride, although Uber has a better discount. With Uber you may receive $10 or more off your first ride. With Lyft it can be as little as $5 off your first ride. A Lyft ride can usually be scheduled. Uber says you can schedule a ride but they don't guarantee your driver will meet you. Which makes Lyft a more attractive choice. However, it's probably rare that you will need to schedule a ride in LA since there are so many drivers.

You can install both apps on your phone and use both at different times if you want. You each can install the apps and when each of you takes the first ride the ride rider discount will be applied.

Lyft likes to encourage their drivers to be friendly and make small talk with their passengers, to make the ride more pleasant. I found Uber drivers to be nice and friendly as well. I like chatting with people so I will open up conversation anyway.

I think the nicest drop off point for Disneyland is the Disneyland Hotel. The official drop off is actually on the opposite side of Disneyland Resort on Harbor Blvd. across from the Main Pedestrian Entrance. However, it is very busy there with so many people walking to Disneyland from all the hotels and the shuttles and buses. If your driver can drop you at Disneyland Hotel, you will be able to get a "Disney" feeling right away. To get to the park you will walk through the hotel lobby and out of the hotel grounds into Downtown Disney, then all the way through Downtown Disney to the Disneyland Park entrance. Upon entering Downtown Disney there will be a security bag check (for purses and backpacks) as you leave the hotel grounds. The same thing exists on the other side of Disneyland Resort, but with many more people going through it.

For your return trip to LA you can be picked up at the Disneyland Hotel as well.

We recommend that you enter Disneyland at park opening to take advantage of the lower attendance during the first hour or two. Park opening can be as early as 8 a.m. If going to Disneyland on a weekday you may need to leave sometime around 6 a.m. to 6:15 a.m.

Park closure could be as late as midnight. It depends on the time of year and day of the week.

Also depending on the time of year and day of the week, Disneyland may have what they call nighttime spectaculars, a big fireworks show and a show called Fantasmic. These are considered must see and create some crowding in viewing areas. In this case, you won't be able to easily leave the park until at least 10 p.m. and maybe 11 p.m.

When you post in the Anaheim Forum let us know when you trip is.

Mentioned in this post
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
117 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Disneyland Hotel
Disneyland Hotel
3,117 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Downtown Disney
Downtown Disney
7,971 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Disneyland Park
Disneyland Park
24,457 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,015 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disneyland or Universal ?

If you are staying here in LA, you are fine posting on this forum.

Lyft/Uber are ride hail apps, you'll need to purchase data plan to use them. They are "almost" like taxi cabs, but are unregulated. Not the best, not the worst.

From Hollywood you could choose Starline tours transportation option. The downside for many is you won't be able to stay at the park until closing for fireworks. (if you want fireworks, it's likely one of the Hollywood Bowl shows will have, so will Friday night Dodger baseball games.). It is an easy option to and from Hollywood. Alternatively, you can get there via Amtrak train from downtown LA's Union Station, catch a bus from the Fullerton station to the park (this option has too many transfers, in my opinion).

Hollywood does make the best base for you:

Griffith Observatory can be visited via shuttle bus https:/…observatory.html

All of the tours start in Hollywood.

California Science Center is easy: Metro red line to downtown's 7th St. Metro Station, Metro expo line stops outside of the place.

Santa Monica: Same as to the Science Center but you go to the end of the line in downtown Santa Monica.

Alternate route to Santa Monica from Hollywood: Metro bus 704. It goes past Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive, too; if you go this route, you can get off in Beverly Hills, enjoy a walk down Rodeo, then catch the next bus (not free, you'll need to pay fare again).

Believe me, your base is perfectly fine for a holiday without a car. The only long journey is to Disneyland.

Mentioned in this post
Hollywood
Hollywood
1,349 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Starline Tours
Starline Tours
3,695 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Union Station
Union Station
1,557 Reviews